Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: About to add salt for the first time, am I ok to use....

1. Back To Top    #1

About to add salt for the first time, am I ok to use....

Am I ok to use the blue bags from Home Depot to add salt for the first time? I've seen plenty threads saying the salt is ok to use but many recommend the Mortons pool salt for a start. I used the test strips and I need to add 1200 - 1300 lbs of salt. The HD salt is so much less expensive then buying Mortons online or from a pool store.

Think i'm ok to get the HD salt and just dump it in?
    46k gallon vinyl, Intelliflo VF, Quad DE 100, Autopilot DIG60, Raypak R405a, Bravo Fury Auto Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: About to add salt for the first time, am I ok to use....

blue bags of solar salt are fine!

3. Back To Top    #3

The blue bags of Morton's solar salt do work, but they do have some little rocks scattered in among the salt. (I've never used pool salt so I don't know whether it has the same problem.) With that many pounds you likely will have a little cleanup afterward. I've never found it to be a big deal.
    Polaris 380 Blackmax

4. Back To Top    #4

While small pebbles in the salt are possible, they are exceedingly rare. I have been through 1000 lbs and never seen one, though I have heard of it happening before. The water softener salt and the pool salt are exactly the same, except that the pool salt has been ground finer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I have never seel rocks in the bags of solar salt but it might be in the rock salt, which is not as pure and should not be used! Either Morton's or Diamond Crystal solar salt is fine to use.

6. Back To Top    #6

Using the 80 lb. blue bags of Morton's solar salt from Home Depot, I have always seen a few little white rocks. The 4 bags I used on opening this year had more than a few. Not a big deal, but definitely there. Maybe it was just the batch.
    Polaris 380 Blackmax

7. Back To Top    #7

I added 15 40lb bags of the blue solor salt. My polaris picked up aboout a pound of small white/grey rocks the next day. Not a big deal and only $4 a bag instead of $7+
    22,000 Gunite, Cart Filter, Aquarite SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Have never seen the white rocks in the Diamond Crystal salt. Not saying they aren't there, just that I have never seen them. I don't buy the Morten because I get the Diamond Crystal for a better price.

9. Back To Top    #9

I've used the Morton blue bags for years too. This year, for the first time, I have had some rocks in the salt. And not small ones, but some pretty large pebbles, big enough that my Pool Rover won't suck them up.

I decided that I was going to use the Pellets, but they were 3 bucks more a bag - I'll take a few small rocks for that!
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

Sounds like Morton is trying to improve their bottom line by adulterating their salt with rocks. I think that the FTC might be interested in this one!