mold on pool decking

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

On approx. 1275 sqft of pecan-colored tumbled travertine [non-sealed], pool decking pavers in the Versailles pattern, the polymeric sand btw the travertine pavers is now black and moldy. This was installed in Nov 2014, pool water filled later Feb 2015.

What product and/or process is there to get this back to the original colored [off white/light gray]? Also, some of the tumbled travertine pavers where there are natural pits, also have mold in them too. Suggestions to clean these areas? Also, there are some area's where the pavers intersect and if all four intersecting pavers have a depression, then there might be a pit the size of a nickel to quarter as the largest...most are size of a pea.

Finally, is there anything I can do to prevent or slow-down the future molding process? The widest areas are maybe 1/8" and a but wider where the travertine butts up to the foundation.

Thank you and pls let me know if you have any questions?

regards, tstex

Thank you for your feedback.

I have not tried using diluted bleach. This is a soft tumbled travertine and most caution no using anything caustic.

Power washing runs the risk of blowing out the softer material from the natural travertine depressions...there's a long story to this w the orig PB's sub's that is not good.

I looked at the link of the product. It states "Wet & Forget". Most products to work really well, they're applied, then "something" is used to agitate the surface to remove stuck debris and other...in this instance, it could be a soft bristle broom, but usually something is needed. How do you use it Ryan?

Thank you folks, tstexx

When using on my siding I just spray it on any mold/mildew, usually it dies within a few days and then over month the usual rain fall wash it off.

My deck is a little different. I use it prior to staining, so I will spray it on, wait a few days then use a power washer to clean everything off. I am sure the mold/mildew would eventually come off on its own (with rain), but with staining I want/need a totally clean and uniform surface in a short period of time.

Concrete front walkway I will spray it on, wait a week or two and then hit any stubborn areas with water and a soft bristle brush to break anything remaining loose.

Thanks Ryan - Sounds like you have each application down based on your needs and uses...I did not delve into the directions, but do you dilute it to X % of water, then use a handpump sprayer to apply?

NOTE: just saw it's 6:1 dilution rate

Thank you for the clarification.

It seems like once it's sprayed on, it's supposed to be able to soak in, stay in contact for X days, then be wetted by rains & gradullay washed off.,,the residual time seems to be part of the cleaning process. We are having so much rain, that maybe I need to wait. Any experience that you feel wks better? Thanks again.

It has been awhile since I used it (last summer). From memory I try spraying on when no rain is in the forecast for a least a day. That will kill just about anything I needed killing. Worst case I hit the bad spots again a week or two later.

Ryan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.