My first week using TFTest Kit

Rusty204

Bronze Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
Cynthiana KY
New to Trouble Free Pool - POSTING
First I know not what I am doing, secondly though am thankful for those who do share their knowledge through this forum.

New to using the TFTest Kit - and just wanted to share what 'I Think' my results are on two rounds of testing
I welcome any suggestions or guidance on what I might need to do next.
25K gal Free form pool - Saltwater

4/19 5 days after opening - sample tested at pool place
FC 5.09
CC 0.40
Total 5.49
PH 8
Alk/Adj 84/72
Calcium 151
CYA 37
ADDED 12LBS calcium AND ~1qt muriatic acid

4/22 using TFTest
FC 3.5
CC 1.0
TC 4.5
PH ~7.6
Alk 80
Calcium 225
CYA 37

Tonight 4/27
FC 4.5
CC 1.0
TC 5.5
PH ~7.8
Alk 80
Calcium 250
CYA 50
Salt showing 3100

Thanks for any advice you might offer

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I am going to ignore the pool store results ;)
Too bad you did not post before adding that CH, there is no need for CH in a vinyl pool.

How does the water look?
Having the CC consistently at 1ppm, generally points to the need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Beyond that, the CYA is a little low for a SWG pool. Take care of the CC problem first though.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you. I know it is the your Sig, but we get in a habit of looking at the Location field :D

The water was still cloudy after opening (why I took sample in - and before I had received the TFTest Kit (which I really like)
The water has since been clean, clearly see bottom etc
Currently running filter about 10+hrs per day.
Not confident yet I have the testing down, and was looking to see if my numbers looked realistic or accurate to people on this forum who have real experience.
I do appreciate your willingness to help - and will be avoiding the pool place for testing in the future -
Rusty

- - - Updated - - -

The videos are very helpful - and I like to think I am doing the testing correctly - though confident there is a learning curve.

Welcome to TFP, great job on getting a great test kit... we can get your water looking great...

Check out my signature and post some pictures for us :)

The water was still cloudy after opening (why I took sample in - and before I had received the TFTest Kit (which I really like)
The water has since been clean, clearly see bottom etc
Currently running filter about 10+hrs per day.
Not confident yet I have the testing down, and was looking to see if my numbers looked realistic or accurate to people on this forum who have real experience.
I do appreciate your willingness to help - and will be avoiding the pool place for testing in the future -
Rusty

With some cloudiness and more than .5 CC, you've got some trouble. But nothing that can't be fixed up quick with some bleach. What you need is the SLAM process. It could be as brief as one day in your case, since you're on top of it so quickly. That's the beauty of having your own test kit. With 50 CYA, shock level is 20. There's no way the SWG can raise FC that high fast enough, so bleach it is.

Just so you understand, bleach is an oxidizer. Oxidation is another word for burning. Think of it as flameless combustion. In an ideal world, you get carbon dioxide and water vapor as the results of burning organic materials (including plants like algae) but the reality is sometimes you get soot and smoke and carbon monoxide. That's pretty much what CC (combined chlorine) is -- partially oxidized stuff. How do you get rid of a bunch of soot, like the black crust on the barbeque grill? More heat! Burn it off. That's what the SLAM is going to do, turn up the heat.

Just follow the directions in the SLAM article. If you have the stuff at home, you can even start tonight. Adjust pH, give it a few minutes to mix (brushing helps) and then take FC up to 20. In the morning, check it again and raise it back up if needed. And again when you get home. Lastly, if CC has disappeared and the water is sparkling, take a reading before bed and again in the morning before the sun hits. If you lost less than 1 FC, that's it. Let the FC come down for a couple days, and then resume using the SWG and balance the chemicals again. By Memorial Day your pool will be clearer than you ever imagined and you'll be an old hand at the chemistry. Plan a big bash so you can show off your crystal clear, non-irritating, non-smelly pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.