Lowering TA Testing and Aeration questions

So...with the TF-100 test kit, often there is a drop that causes it to be pink for a second and then clear.
The next drop might just be a little pink. One more drop and you have a good obvious color change.
Do you take the reading as the last drop or somewhere in between?

Question 2: My TA was 120 and PH was 7.8
I added MA and got the PH down to 7.2 and the TA down to 80-90 (depending upon the answer to question 1).

I set my return jets to agitate the water.
How drastic of a PH change am I likely to see?
As in....tomorrow, it wouldn't be very high if I let the agitation continue all night will it?

I am guessing I will be doing another (smaller) round of MA to get down in the 70-80 range.
I did get a solid reduction of 30ppm retesting about an hour after adding the MA.

And if it matters...I plan to add Borates soon. Just waiting on the test to come in.

The rule of thumb for color change is basically to keep adding drops until there is no change. When the last drop changes nothing, discard that last drop from the count. How long will raising pH take? It depends on the amount of aeration provided and what is being used. Some might go from 7.2 to 7.5 in a matter of a couple hours. Others might take overnight, etc. All in all, it sounds like you are doing everything quite well.

What works best for me is to drop the pH with acid to 7.0 and then immediately aerate. The key is to check the pH again in three or four hours, then add acid again to bring it back to 7.0.. and keep repeating until you get the TA down to a little less than you want. Then quit adding acid and aerate until the pH comes back up to 7.5 or so. I do this routine on three pools in the DFW area. They all have SWGs, but no constant water features. I do not use Borates and my pH will stay between 7.5 and 7.8 for several months in a row before I have to do the process again. The process takes me less the two days most of the time. When I tried to do this with longer periods between acid additions, it seemed to take several days to a week.

Jim R.

I use this to aerate..

Aerator.jpg

Nice, my current goal is to bring my TA down from 100. I'm going to try Jim's advise to test and adjust pH every few hours. Hopefully I can bring it down to 60 or 70.

ETA: Its working!! Every 2 hours I retest pH and TA, then add another quarter gallon of muriatic acid. TA has dropped from 100 to 80. Pool Math says I'll need about a gallon of MA before all is said and done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.