New pool owner-Hello from Texas

Apr 26, 2016
Tyler, TX
Just dropping in to say hello and that I have found the information on this site very informative! My head is spinning with the things I read on here versus my local pool store information LOL... I am a new pool owner having just finished our pool in February 2016! I have a ton to learn and am planning on trying to utilize the information from this site to get me going. I have tons of questions and will keep searching through the site for those answers!

Pre-Landscaping

20151218_150156[1].jpg

Pic below from Daughters 9yr old Bday Party

20160423_141836[1].jpg

Next task is adding my signature!

Re: New Pool Owner - Hello from Texas!

Very nice Texas size pool. Looks like the kids will have years of fun there! Like that sun shelf & and other options, I have some of the same and enjoy them all. This site can help you out if needed. You will love the enjoyment it brings.

Good luck learning the ABCs ! and enjoy the yard & pool fun!

Your pool is beautiful! You have come to the right place - these guys are amazing! I am still learning!

Thanks everyone! I have definitely come to the right place! I have been spending a huge amount of time reading through posts and have read through Pool School, etc. I feel much more confident in taking care of my new pool and I feel am going to save myself a ton of money. I still have a water test from a local pool store on my desk - looking at it with the "recommended" chemicals they suggest had my head spinning! I have ordered the TF-100 test kit and will be doing my own testing and maintenance. Here are a couple of questions I have so far:

1) What are the best practices for storing the Bleach and other chemicals? I have plenty of room in the garage, but am afraid the heat could damage the properties of the chemicals quickly.
2) I have some white buildup between the flagstones where the waterfall is located (scaling?). It is rock hard and a milky white color. Could I use a diluted muriatic acid solution to clean this with? And is there anything I can do to prevent it? My Calcium numbers etc seem to be okay so I am not sure what causes this.
3) I cannot find liquid Chlorine at any of my local pool stores? Any suggestions? I have purchase bleach, but thought it might save a little money to buy a higher concentration possibly.

Tons more questions, but I will save em for later.

Thanks!

1) Don't buy too much bleach at once and it will be fine in the garage for a couple of weeks. If you need Muriatic Acid, only buy one bottle at a time and do NOT store it in the garage (near the bleach or near metal) as the bottle top is vented and the vapors can rust metal. Bleach and MA should NEVER be mixed or stored near each other because then you get a really nasty poisonous gas.

2) Could it be efflorescence? That's when moisture gets behind grout or cement and pushes the salts and minerals forward. It should be able to be removed with some diluted MA. Give it a try.

3) Check to see if the pool stores sell "Liquid Shock" which may be just a higher concentration. But it can't have other ingredients in it, 'k?

What an awesome first post! LOVE how it turned out and the fun times already had in it!

-storing bleach-cool, shaded place. Heat can and will degrade it faster. You do want to store it where it is easy to get to from the pool as you will need to add bleach daily unless you have a SWG.

-Muriatic Acid-store AWAY from chlorine. They do not play well together! It should be stored in a well ventilated place with little to no metal as the vapors can cause rust. With you having kids I would think about finding an out of the place you can put a small, plastic, locking cabinet.

-everything else-store safely and as recommended on the bottle/bags.

Kim:cat: mod note:I moved this thread here as he was past intros already! LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.