Power a pump using solar panels

I believe this has been discussed before and bottom line is that it is not practically feasible.

The only way it might make sense is if the motor could run directly on the 12V from the solar panels, which pool pumps can not.

thanks for the replies guys..

With energy prices in Ontario going up again (every six months we get an increase) I was looking for ways to save.

The rates will be
13.2 cents kWh from 7am - 11am
18 cents kWh from 11am - 5pm
13.2 cents kWh from 5pm - 7pm
8.7 cents kWh from 7pm to 7am

(plus delivery and regulatory fees on top of this).

I heard it is better for the pool water quality to run the pump during the daylight hours, so that means some of the most expensive times.

As mentioned above this takes either a special DC pump motor, or much more elaborate whole house solar electric system, and while there are some out there, the cost makes them not practical, also the only model I know of is from Europe and uses metric pipe fittings.

Well, it sounds like you would do very well with a vs pump to save money.

And as others said you don't need to run the pump very long at all.

I have a single speed 1.5 hp but only run it three hours a day total (for skimming)

The only additional time I would use is 2 more (5 hours total) on sat-sun for heating, if needed.

It's been plenty to keep the water nice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.