CYA level for covered pool

tckgj

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2014
Grand Junction, CO
Sorry if this has been covered many times before. I just got my SWG up and running today on a new pool build and I am balancing the water for the first time. Here are my current readings using the TF-100 test kit (which i LOVE). Everything looks good except the CYA and the CH which are both low. It is a fiberglass pool with a tiled gunnite sun deck. Is it still ideal to keep the CYA between 70-80 for a swg pool that is covered all but a few hours a day?

pH= 7.5
FC= 3.5
CYA=0
CH= 75
TA= 60

Thanks for all the help everyone continues to provide as I navigate the pool world.

I've always kept my CYA *slightly* lower due to the use of the autocover. It was more a matter of not having to buy more rather than a magical number I wanted to maintain. Last year mine was around 60ppm if i recall?

Hi tckgj,
Although I don't cover my pool, I believe you still want your CYA in the 70-80 range as it is better for your SWG. I don't think it matters with pool being covered most of the time. The SWG works much better in that range, but if there is a difference with pool covered a lot, there is someone on here that can shed more light on this. hope that helps :)

There you go, YippeeSkippy had the answer;)

Thank you for the replies! I have a blue auto cover on the pool and the only time it will be uncovered is the couple hours we plan to use it in the late afternoon. My reasoning for wanting to go with a lower CYA, if ok with a swg, is the target FC will be lower according the the chart. If this reasoning is way off base, please feel free to correct. I learn so much from everyone here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.