Ortega check valve shot

Apr 28, 2009
My pool is 8 years old and i've replaced a lot of parts this spring. Stumped on what to replace the Ortega spring check in the spa return line with. The obvious choice seemed to be a Jandy 90 deg. spring check except it's not recommended for the flow direction. I have room to mount a straight connection vertically but once again Jandy shows flow down installation as a "wrong" on their installation instructions. Without this check my spa drains overnight enough to expose the plaster. I did install a new spring and seat but the body itself is worn so it won't seal with out a lot if silicon grease. Any ideas.
Thanks
Hugh

You can install the Jandy check valves vertically, I am not sure why they suggest you can not. Although if the correct flow direction is down, I suppose it may not seal as well since the flapper would need to be pushed up.

Although it will look goofy I could turn it up then down so there will always be a little head pressure. Too bad I didn't know any better when I built the pool and let the contractor install all plumbing without unions.
Thanks for the reply,
Hugh

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.