1st slam attempt

Aug 14, 2015
Roseville, CA
love the site of course and going for the TFPC method-been lurking about a year.
In essence i have owned the pool 3 summers, coming up on number 4. and first time owning. have maybe used 5 buckets of pucks in those 3 years as well fought a little black algae years 1 and 2. Of course irregular testing on test strips during that time, rarely registering any chlorine at all. anyhow, thats over and here i am, lol. ive read and re-read and re-read so ive been slamming since Thursday. I do recall a high copper reading from pool store in first year or 2 of owning, ive done nothing about.

Pre Slam - pool is generally clear. no algae growing visibly, pretty clean looking plaster for 15 years old. starting to get some calcium (scaling i guess), looks like grout on tile which is well above water line is spewing white)
PH 7.4
TA 90
FC 0
CC 0
CH 390 or 420 depending on day
CYA 50 (sometimes close to 40 but for the most part 50 with back to sun waist high and 2 fingers holding)

So. my target has been 20 FC. Using HASA 12.5%
Thursday 2pm start test approx 6-8 times a day. trusting calculator with measurements, up at 2am adding as well. went thru 4 gallons in 24 hours
Friday 2pm - Sunday 2pm, sames testing regiment, went thru 4 gallons in 48 hours. getting better it appears.
Sunday 2pm - Wednesday 2pm (posting before 2pm*) went thru 4 gallons in 72 hours. still on right track it appears.
Today at 2pm completes 6 full days. i think im close, but not done. Wow, it really can get clearer then clear, lol. its clear enough i can read the top of hayward vac easily at 6' end. pretty sure i could when i started too, however.

Have only been testing FC during this time ( i did check and re-check CYA a couple times and CC)
just want to make sure im on right track. I must admit, timing on FC test reagent is a day off, lol. i will run out on next test today, argh! with 2 different orders showing tomorrow from tftestkits, hahaha. so, that being said im just going to add the same today at noon 6 and 10 as i did yesterday and in morning as well....then when mail comes back to testing.

during the 6 days, the first test after bringing up to 20 got me back down to 13 FC, ive never gone below 16 since and find it dropping from 20 to 18 or 17 now over those 4 or 5 hours in daytime. i drop from 20 to 17 or 18 overnight it appears as well (dark to dark). so it appears its dropping to 17-18 and i bring it back has been the process.

Any thoughts or things you see i may be doing wrong? thanks! first post, so assuming if i set my sig up right it will all be showing :)

TFP is moving you to the front row and making you head of the class!! That is very nice work.

The homework you have done really shows.

The only advice for you is to keep doing what you are doing and when your SLAM is finished, we hope you'll stay on and help others.

Very nice work! :goodjob::goodjob:

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You sound like you've done your homework. :goodjob: Is it safe to assume you've been cleaning the filter as well? Don't forget to inspect any historically troublesome areas like behind lights in their niches, or ladders where algae can grow in the posts or rungs. Overall you appear to be doing quite well. When you receive your new reagents, you might be close to trying an overnight test per the Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) page. Good luck!

Thanks for feedback, said to wife this morning before going to work that I was going to clean the filter tonight. I bought new filters and installed April 11 however. Have not cleaned once during slam. have vac'd, brushed and emptied skimmer daily is all. Edited to add: tracking shows 1 order of reagents showing today. I wont "run out". haha whew!

Update. Day 8 will be complete at 2pm today. 21 to 19 overnight so I am so close. I did clean the filter Wednesday night, no pressure change but definite debris to be removed even after 2 weeks on brand new filters.

Texas Splash said above: Don't forget to inspect any historically troublesome areas like behind lights in their niches, or ladders where algae can grow in the posts or rungs.

Alage? i dont see any algae. haha.... how about bird dung? I suspect 5-6 duck dung balls were in the niche!!!!! hahaha so for 7 days i ignore the light thinking there's no algae back there, heck i can see a 1/2" gap on one side where I didn't screw light back in properly last year (just not centered) the bleach would get in there and kill it! didnt cross my mind at all that once a piece of junk gets in niche where there really is NO circulation, its not getting out! DOH! first night of slam 5 ducks landed in pool (first time ever that we have seen ducks in pool on the 1st day of my slam!!!, no kidding!), only 1 kid was home and wasnt active in getting them out swiftly... hence the dung! what a lesson. side note: wow a little goes a long ways. I never ran out of reagent before order came so still on track. Thinking tonight I pass OCLT. fingers crossed

Hope the OCLT goes well. I haven't had ducks in my pool yet, think mine is a bit too closely enclosed on 3 of 4 sides to let many of them in. You could try a couple of streamers on sticks either near the pool or on the fencing to keep them out if they are persistent before resorting to more drastic methods.

:shark: :rambo: :poke: :whip: :hockey:

Welcome to TFP, you are all over it.. I lived in Roseville till I was 3 years old, about a mile from the train yard :)

Question regarding testing Chlorine daily:
If I test Ph and Chlorine daily with K1000, the chlorine only shows only up to "5"...... since I have CYA 50, am I going to use the FAS-DPD daily and not use the OTO at all since CYA says I should be FC of 4-6. Or should I OTO daily and add if above 5 don't add, and 5 or lower add? thinking i need/want to use OTO daily as opposed to FAS-DPD daily

maybe this BOLD statement is what i need to work on so I can use K1000 daily:
  • This test measures TC, but if you watch closely it is possible to get a sense of the presence of CC. When you first add the drops of R-0600, the sample will immediately show the FC level. Then, over the next minute or so, it will drift up to the TC level. If you see the color changing, CC is present. Using the test in this way requires careful attention and a good ability to distinguish shades of yellow quickly.

Do I just try and master the FC level visual on K1000? is this literally "immediately" after shaking? any tips on this appreciated.

RE Calcium Hardess: Looks like my CH testing is all that is out of whack here. I am more like 600-700. Being in Nor Cal a drain and re-fill isn't really an option under current water conditions. I have 100' 1.5" discharge hose. I am going to start draining my pool water onto grass and re-filling pool on allowed water days. Tuesdays and Fridays, first drain will be Friday. Will update this post on how CH goes, or advise if I should make a new post for CH only. thanks again all...

I personally never use the OTO. Maybe toward the very beginning of the season when the cover is still on and I just want to make sure that FC > 0. It such a subjective color test, and I certainly wouldn't try to use it to determine CC/TC.

CH 600-700 isn't necessarily the worst thing ever, you may not need to drain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also never use the OTO for FC, only for PH

The FAS/DPD is just so easy to use and you know exactly what your FC and CC is at... :)

got it, thanks much. will continue the FAS-DPD method then daily. makes perfect sense. (speed stir and measuring apparatus make it so quick!)

p.s. casey, i drive by the rail yards twice a day. Loving Roseville. Were you here when the "explosion" happened there? i was not, but had to read all about it when buying house

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.