Variable Speed Pump Purchase

Geebot

Aug 19, 2013
Just learned that my utility is offering a $400 rebate on a replacement pump. My current pump has some age but runs well, but it's undoubtedly an energy hog. I can get a replacement pump for about $900 (less the $400 rebate) and I'm guessing it will pay for itself over this season and next, so it seems like the obvious choice. Am I looking at this the right way? If so, which pump? (As for the install, I can drag my handy electrical engineer brother-in-law over one weekend morning to help me).

Certainly looking at it the right way, assuming your current pump is a single speed. VS pumps also offer some flexibility for any water features or when adding a salt-water chlorine generator. The time on payoff depends on the pump size now verus new pump and run times... and of course electrical rates including whether or not there are off-peak rates to take advantage of.

What size motor is it now? Please add that to your signature as well as some more detail about your pool. You could also set your location in your profile and remove it from your signature to give you more room in the signature.

You might want to look for deals online if possible, there are lots of vs pumps available for less (name brand good quality units)

I almost bought an ao smith vgreen 165 vs pump last fall for $ 399

I just purchased a Hayward TriStar VS pump. Whatever you purchase, make sure it qualifies for the $400 (my utility company provided a spreadsheet with make and model numbers). I paid just under $800. Didn't think about warranty, but I received a card and will submit. Would be surprised if they didn't provide the full warranty period.

I just purchased a Hayward TriStar VS pump. Whatever you purchase, make sure it qualifies for the $400 (my utility company provided a spreadsheet with make and model numbers). I paid just under $800. Didn't think about warranty, but I received a card and will submit. Would be surprised if they didn't provide the full warranty period.

Utility is pretty broad. Requirements are EnergyStar and Illinois tax paid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check your warranty to see when it expires if you install yourself vs having it installed by a pro. I learned the hard way with Pentair pump that went out quickly.
You won't qualify for rebate program or full warranty unless the pump is " professionally installed", but Pentair isn't very specific as to what the term means. So if you have a friend who is a plumber, electrician, pool service that could check your work or assist, and give you a bill to submit with your warranty, that will qualify.

I bought my pump online from a major pool supply store. I had it "professionally installed" by a local pool service that I know, and got a rebate and full warranty from Pentair. The only exception would be the new VST2, that requires a purchase at a "bricks and mortar" store.

Oh, and one tip, buy and use the couplings for install it makes it so much easier. Without you will have difficulty sealing since the pump is straight threads, not tapered like most fittings. The coupling justs seals to the body of the pump with an O-ring. Simple, very effective and a bonus that it could be removed and replaced simply and easily.

Here's my 2 cents worth. I installed a Pentair variable speed pump around three years ago. I don't think I have saved one dime. Running at low speed, with longer pump run time it is very quiet, and uses little energy or $. But, here's some of the dirty little secrets they don't tell you. 1. At low speeds, the skimmers are virtually useless, because there is not enough flow over the weirs to suck anything off the surface, so be prepared to spend lots of time manually skimming for debris, 2. if you have solar, you will certainly be running during peak electric rate hours, and you will need to crank up the pump speed to maintain flow through the panels and prevent air being sucked in through the air relief valve on the roof.

I would not replace a pump solely to save money, because you may well be disappointed. In California, replacement pumps must be of a variable speed type, supposedly to reduce electric use. For some folks, it may work. For others, like me, it affords no economies whatever. You can spend hours doing calculations, messing with the pump speeds, and find your electric bill unchanged. Good luck.

That doesn't match with my experience. We have a lot of trees, over 100, that drop ridiculous amounts of stuff in our pool. There are times when our skimmers are full to the lids and have to be emptied every 15 minutes. This all happens at 1100 rpm. Our pump uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. At 10.25c/kWh we can run our pump 24x7 for 12 bucks a month. It has no problem skimming and making chlorine with the SWG at 1100 rpm, even when the filter is dirty.

I have spent a fair amount of time fine tuning the aim of our pool return eyeballs to maximize a circular rotation and good water flow to the skimmers. We also have a 3 way valve that controls pump suction between drain and skimmers. This valve is at about 80% skimmer and 20% drain.

Our solar panels are run at 1950 rpm which uses 550 watts.

That doesn't match with my experience. We have a lot of trees, over 100, that drop ridiculous amounts of stuff in our pool. There are times when our skimmers are full to the lids and have to be emptied every 15 minutes. This all happens at 1100 rpm. Our pump uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. At 10.25c/kWh we can run our pump 24x7 for 12 bucks a month. It has no problem skimming and making chlorine with the SWG at 1100 rpm, even when the filter is dirty.

I have spent a fair amount of time fine tuning the aim of our pool return eyeballs to maximize a circular rotation and good water flow to the skimmers. We also have a 3 way valve that controls pump suction between drain and skimmers. This valve is at about 80% skimmer and 20% drain.
Our solar panels are run at 1950 rpm which uses 550 watts.

Your points are well taken. I went out and adjusted my eyeballs, though I don't think it will improve the skimmer function. Mine is an old system (circa 1977) and the valve that diverts flow from the drain/skimmers is frozen for many years. Regarding the pressure/pump speed needed for solar, there is a rather long plumbing run to the roof and back, so not many options there.

Bottom line, depending on the pool setup, plumbing, length of runs, etc., the variable speed pump has lots of potential, but may not provide much in the way of dollar savings. By the way, where I live in CA, my average cost of electricity is $.25/kwh; they tell us this summer, the charge during peak hours will be $.43/kwh. And people going with solar are finding that PG&E is finding more ways to charge them for connection to the grid. Seems like there's no way to win.

I think I'll just go swimming!

Good plan! :paddle:

Yes, all pools are different. You must have a red handled ball valve that is frozen. Switch it out for a Jandy or Pentair never lube valve. That could be a lot of the issue with skimmer suction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.