Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My cooker and my pool...

1. Back To Top    #1

My cooker and my pool...

I'm usually on PoolForum but have been lurking on TFP. Figure I'd make an intro with both the "outdoor kitchen" and the pool.

Picture was taken last year during a 14HR pork butt cook soon after I installed the safety fence.

Jack...
    26Kgal IG Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1HP Superpump
    Hayward Pro Grid 4800 DE Filter
    thepoolcleaner pressure side cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Wow! What kind of cooker is that? It looks a little like a Big Green Egg.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanB
    Wow! What kind of cooker is that? It looks a little like a Big Green Egg.
    That is a Komodokamado. The cadillac of ceramics (actually made out refractory materials).

http://www.komodokamado.com
    26Kgal IG Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1HP Superpump

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow! Nice and my gosh, I have never seen a cooker like that. It does look kind of like a gigantic Faberge egg.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

5. Back To Top    #5
    What do you use for fuel?
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Looks like R2D2 with an attitude.

BTW, Sean, the cooker shows up royal blue on my screen.....one of us needs a monitor adjustment.....I hope it's not me.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Looks like R2D2 with an attitude.

HA!

BTW, Sean, the cooker shows up royal blue on my screen.....one of us needs a monitor adjustment.....I hope it's not me.
    There is another similar cooker called The Big Green Egg.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanB
    What do you use for fuel?

Lump charcoal for fuel... Here's my favorite (just took delivery on a pallet):

And here's typical output

MY favorite Summer Satuurdays start with loading the cooker... a little gardening, yard + housework and a dip in the pool and someribs/pork butt/brisket...
    26Kgal IG Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1HP Superpump

9. Back To Top    #9
    Are you cooking for an army over the 4th holiday????? What's the address, I don't mind crashing the party.
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

10. Back To Top    #10
    Your pork looked awesome. What temp do you use in your ceramic cooker and how long to cook the pork. I tried Alton Browns method last week at 210F and while the pork was tasty it would not shred like yours looks like it does. It cooked for 5 hours.
    ~Megan

11. Back To Top    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    Your pork looked awesome. What temp do you use in your ceramic cooker and how long to cook the pork. I tried Alton Browns method last week at 210F and while the pork was tasty it would not shred like yours looks like it does. It cooked for 5 hours.
    1-1/2~2hrs per # @ 220~240*F

Pull it off the cooker when the internal temperature hits 195*F, leave the temperature probe in), wrap it in foil, wrap again in towels and throw it in a cooler (no ice... this is to keep warm). Monitor the temperature. The collagen will continue to break down while the meat is cooling down. Once the temperature is under 160*F again, pretty much all the work is done and you can pull (it'll actually fall apart on you). But if you can't wait you can pull earlier.

Patience is key... you can keep and hold the temperature in the cooler warm enough to pull and serve for several hours so make sure you allow at least 2hrs/# cook time (It's not a good idea to start a 10# butt at 6AM for a 6PM Dinner, for example).
    26Kgal IG Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1HP Superpump

12. Back To Top    #12
    Thanks for the tips. I pulled it off at 180 like Alton said and wrapped it in foil but did not wrap in towels or put in cooler to keep warm. I only let it sit for an hour as well. I'll try your method. thanks again.
    ~Megan

13. Back To Top    #13
    Sounds like a 2 day event. Looks tastey though!

BTW, looks Royal or Cobalt Blue to me too
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

14. Back To Top    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    Thanks for the tips. I pulled it off at 180 like Alton said and wrapped it in foil but did not wrap in towels or put in cooler to keep warm. I only let it sit for an hour as well. I'll try your method. thanks again.
    195*F... You can chop at 180*F but not pull. At 195*F you can almost pull right away but if you can wait, the foil/towel trick gets you closer to swine nirvina.

Now for the advanced course... If you put a pan underneath to catch the drippings, you can run it through a gravy separator to remove the fat. What you have left is awesome 'au jus'. Heat it up and pour it over the meat after you pull. This will keep the meat moist when serving buffet style over sterno (good for an all afternoon backyard barbecues).
    26Kgal IG Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1HP Superpump

15. Back To Top    #15
    Ever make your pulled pork in a pit? We did that a few years ago when a friend came from Hawaii - he dug the pit, burned oak and applewood down to coals, wrapped that pork marinated in honey, molassas, tomatoe paste, chili powder and salt in wet towels, then heavy foil, then buried it for 8hrs. OMG....YUM.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

16. Back To Top    #16
    I followed your suggestions about cooking time and internal temperature and my pork came out awesome and pulled real easy this time. Even my wife said it was great and she is a tough critic. Thanks for the tips.
    ~Megan

17. Back To Top    #17

My 7 yr old just walked up and said, "Hey, is that thing built from Legos?" But he is a Legomaniac!
    ~Debbie~

28k, 22'x37' freeform 3.5'-9'deep
    w/ 7.5' freeform spa raised 18" above pool, Gunite/dark gray plaster, 3 rivers flagstone,
    Aquarite SWCG, Aqualogic ps8, Frog, Colorlogic LED lights.
    Completed 2/06, in Sunny So Cal!

18. Back To Top    #18

This is such a good thread that I've always wanted to try cooking a pork shoulder this way. Is the time the same for a bone-in shoulder? Is there an need to brine the swine?