Variable Speed Pumps - Run Times

Apr 24, 2010
Just purchased a Hayward TriStar VS Pump and will be installing this weekend. I need to run high speed for a period of time for my Polaris cleaner. I also have a chlorinator. Everything is automated with time clocks.

Curious how others run their pumps, assuming you're switching between high and low. I was considering a few hours in the morning on high speed, and then a longer period of time in the evening at low speed. What have you found to be a good way to configure these systems? Thanks-

I run my pump a lot...probably too much. I run it for about 5 hours on 1200 rpm, then for another 5 hours on 2600 rpm in the morning for when I have the SWG running and I add acid if necessary. I run them consecutively, from 2:00 AM until noon.

Mine is 1100 rpm for skimming, filtering and making chlorine with SWG. Uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. Right now it is set to run 9a to 8p, mainly so that the solar controller can monitor temps and turn on solar if there is solar heat. Solar runs at 1950 rpm. Off at night to keep the heat in. When the tress are busy dropping leaves, pollen, etc it runs 24x7 at 1100 rpm for maximum skimming to keep stuff skimmed and off the bottom.

I would start with an hour at higher rpm, 2000 or 2500, and a couple of hours at low rpm twice a day, AM and PM. If the pool stays clean good, if not increase the run time a little.

Every pool is different so you will have to adjust your pump speeds and run time as required.

First part is finding the minimum speed which will work with the SWG and still get skimming action. This will be the pump speed that you will want most of the on time to be. Your total on time must be enough time to make enough chlorine for the pool.

After you have the SWG dialed in, then you will need to determine how often you need to run the cleaner.

Just like "ping" said, every pool is different. Mine was build last year and only until recently i decided to take advantage of the variable speed functions but for some reasons i can only get it to run as low as 1600, so more likely is because the way my pool was build, so just try different settings and hope you can run yours as low as 1100, yours is 37k gallons, mine is only 11k so you have to run yours more.

Thanks to all. I understand every pool is different, was just looking to see what others have settled in on. I'll try to get the low speed dialed in so that the SWCG works properly. Then determine a high speed that will make the Polaris booster pump happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.