SLAMMING, CYA and chlorine tabs

bigdog12

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
SC
I've been following the SLAM method for deswampifying my pool (I can only hope that my lawn will be as green as my pool was before I started!) and after 4 days it's coming around nicely. My question is that I didn't put any CYA in the pool first as I would be backwashing often. Instead, I put chlorine tabs in the skimmers to (theoretically) help keep the FC level up and to add CYA to the pool. After the pool is clear, I plan to add CYA to get the level up. My current numbers are:
pH 7.2
FC 16 (I've been keeping it between 16 and 20)
CYA 0
TA 90
Is my plan OK or flawed? What changes should I make while the SLAM is in progress? Also, which is better: use my SWG to keep the FC at shock level vs continuing to use the di-chlor tabs (then add CYA after all backwashing is done) vs just keep adding liquid chlorine 10% until the pool is clear? Thanks for all the help and btw, the Powerwashing the Filtersand article was THE answer as to why my first SLAM failed. THANKS AGAIN!!

That FC is too high if you have no CYA.

You can add CYA in a sockand hang it by the return jet, then you will not lose much to backwashing.

Tablets are Trichlor, not dichlor. They will not get your CYA up quickly enough.

You can use the SWG if you like to maintain the FC. We recommend against it so you can monitor the FC loss.

That FC is too high if you have no CYA.

You can add CYA in a sockand hang it by the return jet, then you will not lose much to backwashing.

Tablets are Trichlor, not dichlor. They will not get your CYA up quickly enough.

You can use the SWG if you like to maintain the FC. We recommend against it so you can monitor the FC loss.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the CYA/Chlorine chart and it only goes down to a CYA level of 20. What would you suggest as a SLAM FC? My overnight FC loss test is stable at 16.

I would not go over a FC of 10ppm if the CYA is less than 20ppm.
Especially since you have a vinyl pool that can be damaged by excessively high FC levels above the recommended levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.