Pump Housing: Repair or Replace

Henry M

Silver Supporter
Oct 7, 2015
Coral Springs, Florida
Tried to post a photograph, but was unable. So will try to explain. Have an older pump housing (I think that's the correct term) that is in three parts. One part is large round disc, about 12 ' in diameter and is attached to the motor. The middle part is also a a large round disc, same size, and contains the outlet to the filter. Both of these disc parts are joined by a large metal clamp. The third part is attached to the second disc and houses the strainer basket unit and suction inlet. There are hairline fractures on the disc which contains the outlet to the filter. There doesn't seem to be enough epoxy to totally stop the seepage. I could replace that disc, which means re-plumbing the pipe which goes to the filter. I could upgrade to a housing unit where the strainer basket housing and suction inlet, as well as the outlet to the filter is one piece, which means having to re-plumb the outlet to the filter and the suction inlet, then attached to the motor.

TFP would not allow me to attach any files, so I hope this helps. Am trying to decide which is most expedient: repair or replace. Your advice most welcome.

If I understand correctly, the cracks are on the pressure side of the pump (water leaks out) so would be very difficult to fix. You could try epoxy again but you would have to put it on the crack on the inside of the pump housing for greater strength.

You might be better off replacing the entire pump.

This is a view from the top, if that helps. Again, many thanks.

A pressure-side leak like you have will be difficult to repair. Your pump looks like a Pentair (Sta-rite) DuraGlas or Max-e-Glas and parts are readily available. The part on your pump that's damaged is called the Tank Body and the part number may be located just below the drain plug. Hope this helps.

E

Thanks to pooldv & satpoolman for your helpful replies. The motor on my pump is only 2 years old & seems to work just fine. It is a Century V-Green 165 VS. Would you advise 1)I keep the motor & just find a pump housing that could attach to it; or 2) replace the tank body part; 3) just get a new complete pump/motor like the the Pentair SuperFlo mentioned in pooldv's message. Cost is always a consideration, but not waiting for the other shoe to drop is more valuable. As always, your advice most welcome.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to pooldv & satpoolman for your helpful replies. The motor on my pump is only 2 years old & seems to work just fine. It is a Century V-Green 165 VS. Would you advise 1)I keep the motor & just find a pump housing that could attach to it; or 2) replace the tank body part; 3) just get a new complete pump/motor like the the Pentair SuperFlo mentioned in pooldv's message. Cost is always a consideration, but not waiting for the other shoe to drop is more valuable. As always, your advice most welcome.

If the motor is only 2yrs old, I'd either repair what you have or find another wet end (pump housing). I guess you'd have to take into consideration the condition of the rest of the pump, ie. band clamp, impeller, strainer pot, etc. Just my $0.02 ...goodluck!

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Think I'll simply replace the tank body, as everything else seems to be working OK; "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. I know I need to replace the diffuser O ring, the plate O ring & the trap gasket. Is there anything else I ought to replace when I attach the new tank body? Or anything I ought to be sure I pay attention to as I do so? Anyone know of a pool parts warehouse that sells these sorts of things on line? Again, many thanks to all of you!

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Think I'll simply replace the tank body, as everything else seems to be working OK; "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. I know I need to replace the diffuser O ring, the plate O ring & the trap gasket. Is there anything else I ought to replace when I attach the new tank body? Or anything I ought to be sure I pay attention to as I do so? Anyone know of a pool parts warehouse that sells these sorts of things on line? Again, many thanks to all of you!

That looks like all you'd need for the repair. Eb*y and Am*zon are places to get parts, but others here may suggest better options. Goodluck!

E

Am about to replace the tank housing shown in earlier photographs. Is there a particular order to this process? After shutting everything down & draining water, what & where should I saw first? At the reassembly stage, what should get cemented first, second, etc.? Many thanks.

OK Installed new housing. It came with an almost microscopic fracture and seeps water. At this point, I'm about ready to just chuck the whole thing, even though the motor is only about 2 years old, get everything upgraded & replumbed, using a unit much like the Pentair 342001 mentioned by pooldv above; almost starting from scratch. And have a pro do it all, as my skills at such things seem to be diminishing. I'd welcome thoughts, as most of you know more than I do. Thanks very much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.