Newbie alert! - Pump recommendations

Apr 21, 2016
Dawson, AL
Hello! I'm new here to TFP (well, new to everything pool related ?) and this is my first post so bear with me.

I have a 16' x 48" Coleman with a 1500 gph pump (also Intex 7000 SWG). I have a Heritage thru wall skimmer (wide mouth) ready to install.

My first concern is that my pump won't be powerful enough for the skimmer to be effective enough to make a difference. Being able to vacuum from the skimmer would be awesome as well. Any suggestions? I'd hate to install the skimmer and it be useless. I also don't want to spend a fortune on a new pump, but I am interested in a sand filter pump. I've looked at Intex, but I'm concerned about the fittings and don't have a clue how to remedy that.

On a similar note, where should I place the skimmer for maximum efficiency?

Second, I'd like to hard line my system. Tips, warnings, experiences, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

I'm running my pump 24/7 only because it seems like a good idea. SWG runs 7 hours in the evening. Water is clear expect for the constant layer of pollen on top (spring time in Alabama...lovely). My test results using my TF100 were all within suggested ranges. Awesome kit btw!!

If y'all think my pool system would benefit from a different pump, I'd like to go ahead and get one ordered so that I can hard line and install everything so that I can enjoy a trouble free pool fun summer! Thanks :)

Welcome to TFP :)

I used an in ground pump and filter and also did hard pipe for everything, I went overboard but that is kind of my thing :) check out my build thread, you can use the same equipment if you want..

For what I think your looking for, a 2 speed pump and sand filter would work great.. here are a couple suggestions you could look at..

Amazon.com : Pentair 347990 OptiFlo Vertical Discharge Aboveground Pool Pump with 2 Speed Motor and Standard Plug, 1 HP : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

Amazon.com : Hayward S180T Pro Series 18-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

Here is an all in one filter and pump that may work perfect for your size pool :) I love 2 speed pumps but this smaller pump should work also...

Amazon.com : Hayward VL40T32 VL Series Top-Mount Sand Filter System : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll do some more research and choose one that I think will fit the budget and needs. And the skimmer location should work well. I'm planning a trip to lowes this afternoon after work to pick up some PVC to start my hard line project at least for the skimmer. I also saw a post where someone used their old filter for a fountain, so I'm borrowing that idea also!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.