Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hi all,

I introduced myself last week in this thread. Explained I just got the pool and inherited a "pool guy"
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/112797-New-pool-and-storage-of-pool-chemicals

I just got my test kit today, and ran the tests! I think I did them right....we will see. Last week the pool was green, so I have added some liquid chlorine, and have removed the tabs. Pool looks good, its about 74 degrees, and a tad bit cloudy (considering it was black almost two weeks ago from a hail storm, I am pretty excited)

FC - 16
CC - 1 <- this might be 0.5 I think I put in an extra drop
pH - 7.8
TA - 160
CH - 400
CYA - 80. <- does the black dot need to be totally hidden? I think it was....

Any recommendations would be very helpful. Tonight we are due for another hail storm (had one last night too...) could be up to 2 inches of rain.

thanks in advance!

The black dot needs to be totally gone. CYA test should be done outside with back to sun in bright indirect light holding the tube at the top with 2 fingers at waist level. Pour it back and forth a few times to check for consistency.

After verifying the CYA level. Lower the pH to the lower pH (use PoolMath) and then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.

Consider dumping some water (since your CYA is a little high anyway) before the rain starts and let it fill the pool back up.

Not too shabby, considering you've been working blind.

Grab as much hail as you can -- it won't have any CYA or CH in it, so it will dilute things. The pummeling may drive up the pH, so lower that now and then you should jack the FC waaaay up and get a final kill on the residual algae that's clouding things.

You said the pool was green last week and you have been adding "some liquid chlorine" and still cloudy ... that is not good enough to ensure the algae is all dead. Follow the process ... we wrote it for a reason ;)

Over the last week, I have added one gallon of HDX bleach (8.25 I think) and two jugs of liquid chlorine KemTek liquid chlorine (10% I think) I think the pool guy added a pound of cal hypo as well (he gone soon...) I was going based on paper strip testing of FC (was trying to keep high because of the green)

Not questioning the process, just trying to understand when to do it. I will add some dry acid tonight to lower PH, add what liquid chlorine I have (I think I have three jugs left), watch the weather tonight, and check again tomorrow. Do I just check the ph and chlorine tomorrow?

thanks guys for your quick responses.

I laid out what to do the in previous post :D

Verify the CYA.
Lookup your required FC level (based on the CYA).
Test your pH and FC
Lower the pH, use PoolMath
Add enough bleach to reach shock level FC, use PoolMath.
Follow the SLAM process (need to be checking and adjusting the FC at least twice a day).

Sorry making you repeat yourself! Could not re-verify CYA tonight as is dark. But, based on the fact I think was pretty close, I lowered the pH with HTH pH down (hope that is not bad....all I have...) and added 4 gallons of HDX germicidal bleach (all I had on hand) PoolMath said do 5 gallons to go from 16 to 31. I also scrubbed the sides with a brush. Not to dirty. Pool had a few leaves at bottom from storm last night but Polaris got them all picked up in todays run.

Will verify CYA in AM, and measure FC, and get more liquid gold as some point in the day and add to maintain the 31 (assuming my CYA is 80)

thanks for helping out this rook!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alrighty, so last night we had quite a thunderstorm here in San Antonio, and a good amount of rain. No hail. Pool had quite a few leaves in it, but not too bad. Looks more blue, but still a tad cloudy. So this AM, cleaned out the skimmers, skimmed the leaves off the top, and measured CYA and FC.

FC 42
CYA 70

So FC is high! FC for CYA 70 should be 28. So do I hold off until goes below 28 then keep at 28 (assuming CYA stays at 70) until the 3 conditions are met?

Alrighty, so last night we had quite a thunderstorm here in San Antonio, and a good amount of rain. No hail. Pool had quite a few leaves in it, but not too bad. Looks more blue, but still a tad cloudy. So this AM, cleaned out the skimmers, skimmed the leaves off the top, and measured CYA and FC.

FC 42
CYA 70

So FC is high! FC for CYA 70 should be 28. So do I hold off until goes below 28 then keep at 28 (assuming CYA stays at 70) until the 3 conditions are met?
Yes.

And it also sounds like you really need to break out a tape measure and then settle down with pencil and paper and figure out just how many gallons your pool holds so you can dose accordingly.

Agreed. Pool guy told me it was between 25 and 30. But deep end is just under 6 feet deep. I am thinking it is under 25. Will measure it up by section this week.

OK, so pool is so dang close to being crystal clear!

my numbers:

FC 26
ph 8.0
CYA 65-70

Totally forgot to do CC. Did not feel like wasting 52 drops to get it!!

Do I hold? Seems FC is right on track. It dropped from 42 to 26 in about 40 hours. Is pH an issue?

one more question....would like to swim this weekend, water is like 75 degrees! Is chlorine level ok for the kids? I assume by the weekend I can get to my range FC.

Do I hold? Seems FC is right on track. It dropped from 42 to 26 in about 40 hours. Is pH an issue?

one more question....would like to swim this weekend, water is like 75 degrees! Is chlorine level ok for the kids? I assume by the weekend I can get to my range FC.

Don't worry about pH right now. The test is not accurate when FC is higher than 10 and gives a false high reading of pH. When you finish your SLAM, you can retest pH and adjust if needed.

As for swimming, it is safe to swim as long as your FC is lower than the shock level based on your CYA. Since your CYA is 70, that means your shock FC level is 28 so as long as your FC tests at or below 28, you are fine to go swimming.

Re-read the directions for the CC. You should not need to use many drops at all.

Oh wait, I think I understand what you are saying, you did not want to retest the FC just to get the CC. nm :gone:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.