HELP! No more bromine in my spa!

Apr 14, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Greetings. I'm looking for advice/opinions on the best way to sanitize my spa. I've been using bromine for the last few years but I'm done. Can't stand the smell and feeling it leaves on my skin. I have a 450 gallon spa from LiteHouse. It uses ozone as well. I'm all up for draining, cleaning, refilling but I want to make a switch. Please help!

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Question, my TA is 330 and I need to bring it down to 50. The calculator does not provide the amount needed to reduce TA with Muriatic Acid. It only calculates how to increase TA. Anyone have a trick or a calculation to reduce TA??

Wow! Are you sure about that? That would be the highest TA I've ever seen. Be sure to wipe the tip on a wet towel between drops and hold the bottle vertical.

Here is how to Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

I've tested it 3 times. The fill water is from a well. The CH is 130 and the PH is at 8.4

The calculator does not tell me how much acid to add to REDUCE TA. It only works if you need to increase TA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, I have my water perfectly balanced. I have started adding Dichlor to the spa. My CYA is now at 40. Last night I wanted to use the spa but the FC was much too high. I went to use it this morning and it was still very high. I went to use it tonight and there is no FC at all. Am I missing something? How does it go from a shock level of 10 to completely gone in 12 hours with no use?

Perfectly balanced water. That is what we like! It is fine to get in the tub when FC is up to shock level for your CYA, so 16 for CYA of 40. Hot tubs and hot water consumes chlorine more than colder pool water does. But, 10 to 0 in 12 hours is too much. Which chlorine test are you using to test with? DPD? FAS/DPD? OTO?

I use all 3 at varying times. Sometimes I have trouble reading the color variation at the upper end of the DPD test. Do you have an OTO (yellow) test? I have better luck discerning the colors. It only goes to 5 but Richard320 and I and others are able to reliably read higher levels with practice. Blinding tweety bird yellow is about 10. School bus yellow is about 12-13. Hunter orange is around 18, up around 25 it starts to look pumpkin orange. And, of course, the FAS/DPD test is the most accurate and easy to read.

Did you use Ahh-some to clean and then drain the tub? If not there could still be stuff in the tub/plumbing consuming FC.

Are these all your numbers?

FC 0
pH 7.5
TA ?
CH 130
CYA 40

I went through the same thing changing from Bromine to chlorine... The only thing I can say is I got some, what I saw as crazy numbers, just like your seeing, chlorine would be there then gone... the way I looked at it is something is being killed by the chlorine so I just kept adding until it stabilized..

I recommend doing a SLAM, this will bring your FC up and keep it there until you pass all 3 tests in OCLT, Try adding and testing every 2 hours, it will eventually hold, mine did :)

SO, for CYA at 40 your SLAM FC would be 16, with a spa and how little water you have it may go really fast :)

I also bring my tub to SLAM level once a month just to burn CC off

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.