It's time!

May 12, 2009
Pool was refilled last night- it had about 1/2 of water displaced to I had to do a partial refill...with that being said I had pump issues and the water sat all day today and now I can run pump. Should I let it circulate for 24 hours and then test CYA and chlorine amounts? or should I go ahead and test chlorine and SLAM it and then test CYA in a couple of days and adjust as needed? I am going to go ahead and bet that CYA is very low since I had to do a huge refill with new water....

ITs hot here in East TN....82 today... :) Bring it on!

OK so check CYA first after an hour? if it is super low which I am betting it is- do I need to put in my stabilizer and wait till it fully dissolves and mixes then retest CYA (in a couple of days) water temp is cold too maybe 6ish...

Then start the SLAM? Water is really clear now btw....or can I just get enough bleach in it until I can slam....??? and still be getting CYA up to normal level

If it's low like you think, measure and start soaking right away and just assume your water is at the new CYA target (i.e. 30 ppm). You can test it a few days later if you want. Yes, water temps below 70 can impact CYA testing. You could bring a sample in the house to warm-up a bit and test one more time outside if you wanted. Verify pH, then ... SLAM!

If you aren't sure about the need to SLAM (i.e. clear water, no signs of algae), you can do an overnight (OCLT) test to be sure. Up to you. But whenever you SLAM, maintain that SLAM FC (i.e. 12 based on CYA of 30) until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Hopefully you won't take too long with clear water.

ok will do...since I am going to get CYA in it and top up to 30- do I just get some bleach in it based on that CYA level to start circulating? I am just fearful there is very little chlorine in it now with the refill---

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.