Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Guys
The water was 75 this weekend
so I got in for the first time to look around

I found a bunch of green algae - mostly around corners of plaster and in the seams of lights and other items sticking from plaster

I went ahead and brushed most of it that I found. The 90 degree Fiberstars fittings were basically full of algae and trash

The swim jet had a mushroom size clump of algae or something growing near the controls

The question is my FC is usually between 3 and 5 and my CC is typically zero
The water is clear.

Today I decided to throw a bunch of Cal Hypo in to raise the FC to 10 ish

Is it normal to see this kind of algae even with decent chlorine numbers ?

No amount of algae is normal, and unfortunately the Cal-Hypo may not be doing you too much good either. You need to "SLAM" via the link below in my sig. Please read that page very carefully and follow the instructions to the "T" while testing with your TF-100. A SLAM will work, but you have to stick with it. Let us know if you have any questions.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and try to post a FULL set of numbers for us next time you get a chance. Thanks!

PH is in the right range
Ill run the full tests tonight

The odd thing is that other than the algae that I found in some mortar joints and in the fiberstars the pool meets the Slam standard

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • And the water is clear.

One thing that likely is contributing to the issue is too little brushing
But the areas that Im seeing issues wouldnt trypially get brushed from Pole brushing

Lack of brushing and/or poor water circulation around nooks & cranny's are contributors. But once we see your full set of test results, it will help tremendously. Weather is picking-up for us, so that also increases our ability to get algae if we let our guard down a bit. No worries though, we'll help you. Have a nice day.

I added more Cal hypo per Pool math and I still cant get FC above 7
It hadnt all dissolved and the storms blew some stuff in the pool
After the system runs this morning Ill restest and add some bleach ..

Silver you get to B&B! LOL Bleach and brush! I would brush first then add the bleach to get your FC up to SLAM levels and keep it there for a few days while you brush some more. We need to get that algae out!

Kim

I have a little bleach, ( maybe a gallon ) looks like I need to take the hooptie to Walmart and buy about 10 gallons
I was using the Cal hypo since the previous owner left about 60 lbs of it behind and I plan to use SWG once the pool is replastered.
Im wondering if the cal hypo is so old its effectiveness is lowered or if the pool is just consuming it ...

Thanks to everyone for the help and encouragement

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are 2 buckets - one 25 lbs of 73% that was almost full and a 100lb bucket of 68% that was about 30 % full
Ive added 5or 6 16 oz scoops in the last 48 hours

The pool has such a leak that maintaining any level is tough - ch , salt, cya anything -
until the plaster is redone Ive just been focusing on the PH and the FC

The hooptie is a 99 S10 pick up that is perfect for hauling bleach and other stuff that doesnt go in the SUV

IMG_3479.jpg
CCH left over
IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3482.jpg
Walmart pool sanitizer 10% and a little larger than the great value 8%

A gallon and a little and Im finally up over 10ppm

Ok Here is full set of numbers
After the predicted 2 gallons of bleach the FC is 12
It was 11 early yesterday after a gallon+ of bleach then down to 7 last night
the rest of the second gallon got it up to 12 and its stayed up over night
CYA has dropped some - Im guessing due to rain and leak - Still have 2 floaters in the pool with pucks in them.

FC 12
CC 0
CH 250
TA 60
PH 7.5
CYA 20

Those are excellent numbers for a SLAM if you are indeed still SLAMming. Actually, it won't hurt you if the FC dips to 10 based on the CYA of 20. But be leery of a low CYA as often times when it's at 20 or so, it can actually lower than we think. Because of your leak(s), keeping a tab in there is probably a good thing right now to help with that CYA dropping. So keep those numbers where they are, keep scrubbing, cleaning the filter, and hopefully you'll see the SLAM work in your favor soon. Have a nice day. Nice work!

Assuming that its ok to swim in water with FC of 10 I intend to keep it up there for 48 hours at least
Give it time to get in all the knooks and crannies
Ill go scrub the fiberstars lights again by hand to loosen up any renaming garbage
May need to go buy a few more gallons of bleach while its $2.50

Just need to pass the Over night test - But even so Id like to keep the FC level up for 48 hours no matter the results

The Walmart chlorine dates were 80 th day in 2016 ( march 20 ) which isnt bad - i hope

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.