T/A is way too high

ualpow

Apr 5, 2009
Land O'Lakes/Florida
I opened my 15x30x54" pool last week. The water was clear and I let the pump run for 24hrs. Then I used my new TF-100 and here are the readings.
On 5/4/09
FC-2
CC-0
TC-2
pH-7.8
T/A-310
CH-260
CYA-30

I added 2 Gal of bleach to shock it, FC 12ppm
On 5/5/09
FC-5.5
CC-0
TC-5.5
pH-7.8
T/A-290
CYA-30

On 5/6/09
FC-7.5
CC-0
TC-7.5
pH-7.8
T/A-350!! I tested this 3 times to make sure.
CYA-30

I added 1lb Sodium Bisulfate and will check again in the morning. How can my T/A get so high? What would you recommend I do?
I also have 2 trichlor pucks in the inline feeder set to lowest setting. When the CYA starts getting high can I switch to bleach?

Do you notice the drops coming from the tips of the TA dropper bottle - are they irregular or different in any way from the other dropper bottles in the kit? Try wiping the tip with a damp cloth between drops - there was an issue of static electricity with the TA test bottles and this may help give more accurate results.

ualpow,

I believe your issue is static electricity. I've had two other reports the past few days.

If that's the problem, the R-009 reagent sort of shoots off the dropper tip and the drops are noticeably smaller, even though the dropper tips are identical throughout the kit.

The solution is to wipe the dropper tip in between each drop (or every 2-3 drops) with a damp cloth or damp paper towel. This always seems to work.

The issue is documented in Taylor's website but I'll be darned if I can figure out why it happens.

duraleigh said:
I believe your issue is static electricity. I've had two other reports the past few days.

I haven't had any issues since I called you last Saturday. Since pulling the dropper off the tip of the bottle, blowing through it real hard, and wiping it of, the test seems to be working great.

Thanks for helping, you really went "above-and-beyond" for someone who spent $~75 ;)

- Jeff

ualpow said:
I tested my tap water and for kicks my RO water.
The tap water is 350 T/A and the RO is 40 T/A.
Now to try the fixes recommended here.

I'm a die-hard FW and SW Aquarium guy and use a LOT of RO water for my tanks. If you have a T/A of 40 out of your RO, it is time for a new R/O membrane.

It should be (theoretically) be less than 1.0.

Just a helpful aside.

- Jeff

There was something in the tip of the bottle of the R-0009. I cleaned it out and wipe the tip between drops. The drops are noticeably bigger and my reading are still high but closer to normal. I am working it down with acid and then I will aerate to bring PH back inline. Thanks for the help. Can I buy R-0009 refills? Never mind I see refills on the site.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have been reading high TA (180-200)as well - and had even noticed that the drops on the R009 reagent seemed smalled than drops from the other bottles. I did not know if this is supposed to be like that or not. Is there a way to measure/weigh some number of drops to see if the reagent bottle tip is working properly?

I tested my tap water twice, and it was reading just at about 130/140.

I have been running tests on tap water to see how much consitency I get. I was reading 130/140, but when I wiped the tip i go 90. After reading some more, I think I have not been testing properly. I was not holding the droppers completely vertical.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.