Pump Motor Shaft Corrosion. Deal breaker?

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I wish I would have taken pictures when I had my pump disassembled but I didn't. :( Anyway, I have a Pentair Challenger 3/4 HP pump. It was leaking at startup so I replaced the shaft seal. When I disassembled, I noticed there was a fair bit of corrosion on the shaft. In particular the area up against the motor housing was covered in a white chalky substance.

I used some steel wool and lightly rubbed the outer half of the shaft but never really messed with the part nearer the motor, which I NOW realize is the part where the shaft seal sits. Anyway, after reassembly there is still a drip of water coming from behind the area where the motor mounts against the seal plate. Would it be worth it to disassemble again and try to clean up the area that I didn't before? Or is it a lost cause trying to remove corrosion from a motor shaft and expect it to seal properly again?

Also, for some reason the motor is louder after I replaced the shaft seal than it was before. Seems strange because I didn't do anything to the motor other than remove the pump from it. It has a higher pitched noise to it, not crazy loud but definitely louder than it was before. April 23, 2016 - YouTube

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.