I have a leak. Anyone have suggestions for a NH pool outfit?

Apr 26, 2016
Seacoast NH
Hi All-

I have been lurking around for quite some time and finally signed up. First and foremost, I appreciate all the awesome knowledge to be had on this forum! My wife and I moved into our new house last fall. This was my first time opening an IG pool but it went pretty well after learning the basics here. It was a dark swamp and in 5 days I had it cleared up following the SLAM method.

Now I found yesterday I am losing about 300 GPD. I have tried dye checking around the returns, skimmer, light, steps, etc. Nothing detected. I have noticed that the screws that hold the returns on were loose in some places and there is a slight gap behind the "flange" if that makes any sense? I do not know if this could be a leak path or not as I am a bit of a newb.

I do have a solar cover on it and the temps have been in the 50's, I doubt it is evaporation for about an inch of loss...

I had the returns and skimmer plugged overnight, I still lost about the same amount. My next step I plan on doing is getting the pump fired back up and running it for 24 hrs to see if water loss rate changes at all. Maybe it is a stretch, but I was thinking possibly a suction side leak in the piping could actually slow the loss if the pump were running the whole time.

My liner does not look too good, quite a few wrinkles here and there. She is past her prime for sure.

Long story long, does anyone have any suggestions for a reputable pool contractor in Seacoast area NH? Also, what should I expect to pay for various services? We hadnt really planned on having to do the liner..and we may not, I just dont know yet. But what would an average replacement liner cost to have installed for my 16x32?

Thanks in advance or any input!

:bump: Snowman, first let me say hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: A welcome a bit overdue. We were holding back to see if anyone would chime-in from your area with a suggestion for repair. Figured by now this post needed a "bump" for more visibility. Glad to hear you did your first SLAM successfully. I'm thinking though that if you tried plugging the returns and skimmer and still lost water, then the leak must be at the drain or somewhere in the liner. Regardless, I hope you are able to get some assistance quickly.

Again, welcome to TFP. We're happy you found us and hope we can be of assistance in the future. Have a nice day/weekend.

Hi there, first off I don't have an inground pool myself, but see lots of pools here in Stratham. The folks I see around all the time I northern Pool and spa. I have to figure, they must be okay if alot of folks use them.... Sorry I don't have any personal experience with an inground, but I do have a great experience with White mountain pool and spa in Dover. They installed my above ground and have been great while I am learning to take care of it. Hope this helps a little bit ;)

Thank you for the replies! Most people I speak with don't want to deal with vinyl. I did speak with millers out of dover and he seems like a good person to work with, he doesnt do leak detection... now i do. :) I pulled my light today and was trying to detect My 1qt per minute leak. Still nothing definitive. Wetsuit showed up late today... maybe I can get in tomorrow before commitments!

I did try moving a contractor bag over the main drain to see if I could detect water loss... this was done from deck with a brush on a pole. Shot in the dark but I figured I could at least try!

Meanwhile, I have been installing a solar heating setup. Turned into much more of a project than I intended, hopefully it is worth all the effort. Planning on direct burial of the pvc, hope this is ok. Again thank you for the welcome.

Direct burial is good for solar. I am down in brookline and just built my whole pool entirely by my self, 18x36 roman end. I also installed my solar panels, if I did it again I would use foam insulation(pipe insulation) underground. You will have people say it's not needed but for the few dollars I say go for it. The liner was prob the easiest of all my build, if you have exact measurements it will be easy to order . I didn't put suction behind but instead pushed my wrinkles out as the pool filled, worked great

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I was happy to get the solar slightly tested today by firing up a sump pump and actually getting some warm water. Roger on the direct burial... I figure every other line isn't insulated, and heat xfer through a 1.5 or 2 inch line should be a drop in the.. bucket. My Internet is weak right now to check out the video. Router on the fritz. I thought for sure I would be able to see a 320 gal per day loss by dropping the dye in but on the other hand, this is my first time dropping dye looking for leaks. Should be able to swim and look tomorrow. Maybe I am worrying too much about this old vinyl liner.. but could a kick in the wrong corner with strong snorkeling fins make the day go from bad to worse?

Found a tear while snorkeling around in the rain. Patched and holding steady but I need 12 hours more trend to be sure it is the ONLY leak! A little embarrassing, it is where the shallow end starts to slope. Now it is eroded away with a low area underneath the patch. About 12 x 6 inch area 1 inch deep...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.