Cleaning and restoring a bronze pool cage

SGPlayer

Gold Supporter
Apr 12, 2016
Palmetto, Fl.
Hi everyone, We just had a complete remodel done to our pool and deck and now the pool & deck sparkle but the pool cage is dingy from 25 years of age, constant Florida sun and all the construction dust, grout and debris that have settled on it.

It's not the screens that are the problem, its the bronze colored anodized aluminum.

Pressure washing did very little. It removed the larger debris but the best results I got was with a wet rag and a hose, scrubbing as I went.
I know this was effective because the rag would get filthy as I scrubbed.
I repeated this method a couple of times on every section of the cage that I could reach until the rag no longer picked up dirt.

Now everything looks great when its wet, but as the aluminum drys it still looks dingy and chalky.

DSC04091_zpstvfnopsv.jpg

I'm wondering if there's a product that will restore the new look, that won't wash off.
Tried ArmorAll on a small section. Looked good till it evaporated, then just disappeared.

Thanks for the link. I did some investigating into that Everbrite and found it to be just what I was looking for, but... $29.95 for a 12oz spray can?
So what's so special about it, according to the website,

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Everbrite Protective Coating is a tough, clear protective coating that will bring back the color and luster of old, faded metal and will protect from the damage that the sun, salt air, acid rain, moisture and other damaging elements can cause. Rejuvenates the color and luster on faded, dull aluminum or steel siding, metal buildings, curtain wall, store fronts, window extrusions and so much more. Everbrite Protective Coating has extra UV Blockers and Anti-Oxidants in it to prevent chalking, fading, oxidation and corrosion.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]​Perfect. Now armed with this [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] knowledge I headed to the local hardware store for some inspiration.

I'll post my results later, if any...

Dave
[/FONT]

OK, Here's what I found to try. A clear matte spray on finish that seals, protects & revitalizes. Non yellowing and UV resistant.
Its made by Rustolium. Called Painters Touch ultra cover matte clear.
Sounds like a winner so far. Time will tell, but it does make a difference.
DSC04103_zpsdehlidtt.jpg

You can see where I stopped. The cage uprights & crossbars on the right side of the pic had been done.
Three 12oz cans cost $4.49 each and went three quarters of the way around the inside of the lower part of the pool cage. I kinda ran out of daylight.
Looks like I'll need quite a few more cans.

Time will tell if this stuff will survive in this sun here, but it claims to be UV resistant. The finish is perfect. Just what I was looking for. It darkens the bronze and gets rid of the chalky look and dries quickly to a flat non glossy finish.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the support so far.
I can only hope in the back of my mind that this was the right way to go.
I suppose it is reversible.
Lacquer thinner will take it right off if need be, but my gut tells me this was a good fix.

So far total investment in 6 cans of the matte clear is $26.84 plus tax and a few hours of my time in the sunshine.
Still less than one can of Everbrite @ $29.95. I'm not knocking Everbrite. I'm sure its a fantastic product that does just what it says.

My next step, repair the lawn that got trashed & turned into a driveway while they were working on the pool. I had to put up a barrier after a few weeks to keep the clowns from driving & parking in my yard. I can see an exception if there was equipment to bring in, but this was just laziness.

DSC04049_zpsxii9cz09.jpg

My fun never ends.

Dave

OK, Here's what I found to try. A clear matte spray on finish that seals, protects & revitalizes. Non yellowing and UV resistant.
Its made by Rustolium. Called Painters Touch ultra cover matte clear.
Sounds like a winner so far. Time will tell, but it does make a difference.

DSC04103_zpsdehlidtt.jpg

You can see where I stopped. The cage uprights & crossbars on the right side of the pic had been done.
Three 12oz cans cost $4.49 each and went three quarters of the way around the inside of the lower part of the pool cage. I kinda ran out of daylight.
Looks like I'll need quite a few more cans.

Time will tell if this stuff will survive in this sun here, but it claims to be UV resistant. The finish is perfect. Just what I was looking for. It darkens the bronze and gets rid of the chalky look and dries quickly to a flat non glossy finish.
How long did it last

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.