Any way to have budget automation/remote control

Toast

Feb 5, 2015
Murrieta, CA
I have a pool, pentair easy touch remote. However is there any easy/not super expensive way to add remote control over it. I dont actually need all the functions of the equipment, really I would just love to be able to turn on the spa from my iphone when we are out- and be able to come home to a hot spa when we know we want to get in it.

So any easy-ish way to add remote on/off of spa?

I have seen the screenlogic and autilis systems... which may be what I end up needing to get, just figured I would ask those smarter then me if there was an easier way since I really only want simple off/on control.

Thanks for any ideas.

Toast,

The only logical choice is Screen Logic 2. I recently installed it and it is a night and day improvement for the EasyTouch. You can simply click an icon and make your system do what you want.

Kit 522104 comes with the protocol adapter and wireless system and costs about $370 at Sunplay.

Jim R.

I guess I didnt realize fully what wireless system meant, didnt know if it was wireless to connect to one of the controllers- but needed hard wired internet. But thanks for the info, I guess I get to figure out how to set it up and get an install project sometime in the near future.

Toast,

I recently added wireless control to my Jandy system when I rewired from a timer system to full automatic control. I'm told all the systems work very similarly. My project was pretty involved because it involved replacing and rewiring the sub panel. But adding the wireless was simple. First you set up a free account with the manufacturer then download the free apps for your phone, tablet etc. Next you connect the wireless transmitter to the main board and then identify it as a device on you home network. You don't even need to do the password if your transmitter has the WSP feature. With this you don't even need to use the software to type in your password. You just press a button on your router then turn your transmitter on with WSP enabled. They "find each other" then sync up with no additional input. I now have total control over my local network and/or over the internet from anywhere. This allows me to set up schedules for any device that is automated.

I wish I had more specifics on the Pentair version but I'm sure somebody here will be able to provide more details. Also you should download the manuals off a sales site or Pentair sight to be sure you won't run into problems. I bought my equipment at Sun Play as well and I'd do business with them in the future.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Toast,

Basically, here is how the Screen Logic system is connected to your computer or phone.. First, you have to be able to communicate with the main EasyTouch panel. You can do this in one of two way:

1. The easiest way is to just run a standard low voltage four wire cable, from your EasyTouch Panel to an area in your house where you can access your Internet router. This is what I did just because my EasyTouch is just a few feet away.

2. The second way to connect the EasyTouch panel to the inside of your house is to use the wireless Transmitter/Receiver that is included in the package. The wireless system just replaces the wire used in option 1 above. It has nothing to do with Wi-Fi or the Internet at this point.

Whether you use the hard-wired, or wireless connection, you then have to be able to "talk" with the EasyTouch Panel. Since the EasyTouch speaks "Pentair", and everyone else speaks "English" we have to have a translator/interpreter. This is where the included Protocol Adapter comes in.. You connect the Pentair end to the EasyTouch and the Ethernet end to your Internet Router. The Protocol Adapter converts the Pentair language into something that the Ethernet can understand and also converts the Ethernet's language into something that the Easytouch can understand.

You do have to download an app if you want to use your phone, but I find using my PC works best for me. I love it. It makes everything so much easier.

It is very easy to do, the hard part is just trying to understand Pentair's manual, which of course is written in Pentair and not English. :confused:

Plenty of people here that can help if needed.

Jim R.

You may want to check out Autelis.com for their EasyTouch pool control module. I've recently added one, and it works pretty well, plus I don't need a PC to be on all the time, which is what a Pentair tech told me the ScreenLogic Protocol Adapter required.

Setup is easy, as you only need to attach it to the four EasyTouch keypad wires (which supplies power to the module), and provide network connectivity, (they sell a wireless bridge if you can't plug it into your network directly).

You access the module's menus by browsing to the network IP address assigned to it, or use the app that's built into the module's firmware. I use my iPad to access it using both methods.

While not exactly cheap, it's still quit a bit less than a full ScreenLogic system - and I don't need to have the PC on to use it...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Until you mentioned about the capabilities to turn the spa on before you get home I would have suggested the X10 system. A builder by me uses it for customers that want automation but not the high price tag. Not sure if they have an option that allows you to remotely control things via a smart phone.

Just wanted to pop back in and say thanks again. Got the setup from sunplay, and got it all installed. It really was quite easy (reading the instructions I thought it was going to be much worse then it was). The biggest pain was i also wired a junction box into the setup on an open relay so I could control some market lights I have strung around my fence from the equipment. And I am not an electrician, nor have I ever played on on TV. And after a few missteps and back tracking, finally got it all wired and working perfectly (for now).

Appreciate the help mates.

Matt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.