Copper Sulfate Staining a concern for blue gray mottled plaster pool?

Apr 25, 2016
Sunnyvale, CA
Been following TFP for tips for years, you folks are great. First post. I have a lingering green algae problem that is not going away despite a super shock & scrub (above 24 FC, I know probably not good for some plastic pool parts). Also been doing the phos free for weeks.
So people don't like Copper sulfate because it stains, but should I care with a blue gray plaster with blue gray 3M that is not uniform color?
I don't know what is worse for people's health, Copper sulfate, or this Polyquat 60 with a chemical name I can't pronounce. I've used it before but just makes me worried.
Plus it seems with Copper sulfate I can reduce chlorine levels, which is health benefit. Any other downsides to Cu? My house plumbing is Cu, seems couldn't be that bad, but then again, if it kills algae, what else can it do?

Thanks for any tips

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sounds like you are spending all kinds of money on products that we would not recommend using in the first place.

Forget the copper, forget the phosphates.
You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.

What is your CYA? That is what determines your required FC level according to the FC/CYA Chart. If you CYA is high, then the FC of 24ppm might not have been high enough. Also, realize it is the ratio that is important. 24ppm of FC will not damage anything if your CYA is high too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.