NEW to BBB first setup of the year

May 6, 2009
Fremont Nebraska
Ok so here is the deal, Last year was a tough year for me and my pool. :oops: I stumbled upon this web site and read every page and you sold me on trying BBB. No more ch tabs for me. I just have a few questions on my levels. (Still using a 5 way kit I bought it before I found this site.)

TC

1ppm

PH

Total Alk

TH

CYA Off the charts well above 50 I was told only to test this after temp is up to swimming temp or mid season.

Water temp 40-45

Sand Filter

How much of what should I add? I know that the site explains what to do but Im having some problems understanding how much of what I should add?

HI and welcome :wave:

First, edit your signature to put all your pool specs there. Go to User Control Panel, the Profile, then Edit Signature. Put your gallons, type of surface, whatever equipment etc. Also put your location in your Profile.

We can't advise how much chlorine to put in without knowing your CYA. If tabs have been your primary source it could be very high, which could require partially draining your pool and replacing with fresh water.

I don't see anything of great concern with your PH and TA, eventually your TA will need to come down but that can wait till the FC/CYA levels are straightened out.

So have you ordered a good test kit? See the article in Pool School for the 2 kits this site recommends.

Was the water circulating for a several hours prior to this test?

You can test the CYA by allowing the water sample to come to room temperature before testing.

Use the Pool Calculator, get to know it, play with it, it will become your friend. Enter your pool size and figure the gallons, enter your gallons and then put your test results in the "now" column, and your target in your "goal" column and hit calculate. It tells you exactly how much of which chem to add.

See the article about recommended levels in pool school.

Hope this helps, if not ask away! :wink:

Your big concern is lack of chlorine and unknown CYA level.

Take a look at the Chlorine/CYA chart at pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

For a CYA of 50, it shows you should maintain your chlorine around 6ppm and above 4ppm at all times, and shock to 20ppm.

To figure out how much chlorine to add, take a look at http://www.poolcalculator.com

Your pool is probably between 3000 and 3400 gallons. You'll want to add 141oz of 6% bleach to shock the pool. In your pool, a cup of bleach will add about 1ppm of chlorine.

Your pH is fine, and if it stays there, your TA and CH are fine.

I put this in my signature.

24' x 52" 12,481 gal Doughboy ubove ground vinyl liner
Power Pak 1 0-1063-000
Aqual View SS Sand 80 pound Filter 7Position Valve
Fremont Nebraska

Sorry I left out some details Last fall I actually drained the pool, scrubbed down the walls packed up all of my stuff, back washed my filter drained it and put the pump filter and pool in storage. I was at the point of ordering sod and calling it quits.

I have never been one to call it quits and finding this web site gave me the courage to go for it.

I have not ordered the better kit as of yet. I will as I now know how important FC and CC are I just want to get off on the right foot before I order my kit and get the pool to the warming stage. (My pool gets sun until about 3:00 pm then it is in the shade so it tends to take a little longer to warm up here in Nebraska.

I was hoping to get an Idea of how much of what I should add to get it up and going.

Thanks so much this site is great!

Delete postReport this postEdit postReply with quote

Ok so here is an update got all of my levels except my chlorine levels set. MY FC and TC are 0 Zippo nada. (even took a sample 2 my pool store and he also shows 0)

I used the calculator and I must be doing something wrong because its is not telling me how much 6% bleach to add. I know it’s hard to give the total number of jugs but can you please give me an idea of how many I should start with? I need to get the levels up ASAP my cover got ripped last night and we have rain in the forecast and then sunshine so I need to get the levels up ASAP.

The exact amount of chlorine to add depends on your CYA level. You were vague about what your CYA level is in your previous posts.

When your FC level goes to zero, you want to shock the pool. Find the appropriate shock level for your CYA level in this chart.

With CYA at 40, your shock level is 15 or 16. Plugging your pool size, current FC level and FC target of 16 into my Pool Calculator and it shows just under 3 1/2 gallons of 6% bleach.

You should check the FC level again at least twice a day and adjust the level back up to 16. Keep that up till your water is clear, CC level is 0.5 or lower, and your FC level remains the same overnight.

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum :wave:

On the bleach, many stores only carry the 96oz. size bottles and folks can sometimes mistake them for gallon(128ozs) size bottles.

Just check the ounces on the bottles you are buying to be sure :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the help I ended up adding 4 gal of bleach to get me levels up. Thanks so much for the help this place is great. I did have one casualty…….you see the wind kicked up ( 30 mile per hour gust ) and I had some splash come back at me oh well I didn’t like that polo much anyway and the blonde err white specks in my hair make me look like I have been enjoying the pool already :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.