First time opening

There is no mistaking the transformation in your water Nate. The end of a SLAM can be the most difficult - waiting. Your filter will continue to sift-out the dead algae as you maintain the SLAM FC level. At some point, when you think you have gone as far as you can, you can confirm CCs and try an OCLT. If you pass and the water is still a little hazy in some areas, you might need to add a little DE to your sand filter to assist (maybe). Don't rush it, just something to think about in the next day or two. But your water is looking fabulous.

The way it was explained to me is: First and foremost, continue the SLAM until you pass all three, including crystal clear water. Progress slows for most people, especially sand filters, but as long as the is some kind of daily improvement going on, just stay the course. On the other hand, if there is no little hint at all of improvement for multiple days, then you should consider very carefully and strictly following the add a little de to sand filter or sand filter deep clean procedure. If you take daily pictures, share how your psi is going, what your back washes look like and how often they are, and maybe either test results or FC consumption, age of filter, how long it ran when it was a swamp, I believe the great people of this forum will suggest one or the other for you, if and when the time comes should progress completely stall.

Did the OCLT and it dropped from 12 to 9. CC reading this morning is 1.5. Didn't ever have to backwash yesterday. Pump still running 24/7. It does seem water is looking better each day...just not as drastic as the first few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tested cya over lunch and I am still not getting a reading. I did put around 3 pounds of stabilizer in over the weekend but that was when I was back washing several times a day and adding new water. It is at least cloudy at the 30 level where it was completely clear before adding. So I think it helped but possibly just back washed most of it out?? Should I put more in now that I am back washing less and if so what should I assume the current level is for the pool math calculation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nate, you definitely need that black dot to disappear when looking at it outside. I mean don't focus/stare so intense you go crazy looking for it, but a casual glance down the tube as you are filling it up. Take your eyes away for a moment then look again - in stages perhaps. At some point you should only see the hazy water with reagent and have no noticeable dot. Pour it back to the mixing bottle an re-do the test over & over if you need to. With a few days of backwashes, it is possible that CYA lowered a bit.

You can try increasing in 10 ppm increments if you want as to not go too high. Once the stabilizer is dissolved, it should for the most part be showing-up on your next CYA test in about 24 hours or so. We used to think it took longer, but we did some various tests this year and determined it doesn't take as long to record on the test as initially thought.

Not sure what happened overnight, but went out this morning and can now almost see the bottom of the deep end! I've got another question now regarding equipment. Not sure if it's best to start a new forum with this new topic or just ask here. Anyway...my pump has started showing a slow leak around the metal seal plate. I assume there is a worn out O ring in there that needs replaced? Is this something that needs to be ordered specifically for this pump or is it something I can take to the local hardware store and find?

Not sure what happened overnight, but went out this morning and can now almost see the bottom of the deep end! I've got another question now regarding equipment. Not sure if it's best to start a new forum with this new topic or just ask here. Anyway...my pump has started showing a slow leak around the metal seal plate. I assume there is a worn out O ring in there that needs replaced? Is this something that needs to be ordered specifically for this pump or is it something I can take to the local hardware store and find?

Check out your manual. Likely a seal kit would do the job. http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/Max-E-ProOM.pdf page 13

I'm really glad your water is responding so well! Congrats! Just don't let up. Test & add at least twice daily. Check PSI at least once daily in your case since it is slowing down nicely. Do you have a pool light? If so, do you know how to do the cleaning behind it?

I tell you what Nate, the two things that surprise the heck out of pool owners (hiding spots for algae) every year are behind lights in the niche and in ladder steps/rungs. That stale water is a treasure-trove for junk. So just keep that in mind.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.