Leak help

Jun 6, 2010
Central Indiana
Opened the pool last week and discovered we have a leak. Losing about 1-2 inches per day. The pool was drained to just below the return all winter and didn't appear to be losing water so either it is a new leak that just appeared or the leak is higher than the return. No visible leaks on any of the equipment either. I found that the ground around a quarter to half of the pool is fairly wet and actually has standing water in one spot but I cannot see any water running down the outside of the pool. I also cannot see (from the outside) any tears in the liner. I've order one of those syringes with colored dye for finding pool leaks and it should arrive this week but I don't really know how to use it. any tips on how to find the leak? If I am able to find the leak any tips on how to repair it?

We moved here in 2013 and the liner was new in 2013 I believe. 24 foot round agp.

We are using a Hayward sand filter in case there is anything weird about those that could produce a leak that wasn't easily visible. (I couldn't figure out how to update my signature)

Not much you can do until you get in the pool with a mask and the dye. You have at least found a good starting point. Get in the pool with mask and look for any obvious small cuts, tears, etc. To use the syringe dye, you just put the tip close to the liner where you think leak may be, and give it a little squirt. The dye will travel with the water into the tear/cut. You might have to do this several times before you find the cut.
Look in area for a tarp or tent shop, see is they have a glue call HH-66, it works great for patching. Some of the glues from Walmart, etc are not that good, but this stuff is great for under water as well. I sell it work, but I am out of the USA, so shipping to the USA is difficult.
Google is your best friend.
HH-66 Vinyl Cement - Using Underwater - YouTube

If your eyes are good, you can easily brush the bottom to see if any dark marks on the liner don't brush off. If you find dark marks, they could be your culprit. This is harder on some who's eyes are not great but can be done. It's tedious but keeps you dry til the leaks are found.

You have nothing to lose by spending some more time looking for the leak while it arrives, so get back in there....;)
It can prove to be a very time consuming thing, but no easy way it seems. At least you have it narrowed down somewhat to an area. Take you time, go over every square inch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.