Unlevel above ground small Intex...help!

eanik

Apr 25, 2016
Florida
I dug up sod, asked my preoccupied husband to level the ground then I added a small layer of sand. I assembled the pool and started to fill it yesterday. I noticed it was a little unlevel, but not too terrible I thought. This is what it looks like today "full". Is it really bad? I'm so dreading if I have to drain, take it down and fix the ground. Thanks!

FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender_3.jpgFullSizeRender_1.jpgIMG_1794.jpgIMG_1795.jpg

[Don't mind the soon to be disposed of grass and reed fencing project beginnings.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

We generally say that the pool needs to be level within 1".
Can the Intex pools handle more than that? Maybe yes, maybe no ... up to you to evaluate the risk.

That will likely topple sooner or later. The risk is a toddler in the midst of several thousand gallons of rushing water. Sorry, but I'd redo it.

Go from the lowest point and remove the dirt. Do not add fill because it will settle. One gallon of water weighs approximately 8lbs. This is why adding dirt just makes a bigger mess.

That pool is fine, there is no danger of it toppling over. It looks like it is only out about 2 - 2.5 inches. Try to find a post here, where a pool collapsed because it was 2.5" out of level.

Would you be willing to bet your 3 year old's life on that?

I had a 14x42 Ultra Frame that was a couple of inches low on one side. It lasted a couple of years, but once the top rail rusted, it broke at the low spot and the liner ruptured and flooded my yard. It can happen.

With bigger kids, I would let it go. Obviously, because I did. But with little ones, it would be irresponsible to take that chance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That pool is fine, there is no danger of it toppling over. It looks like it is only out about 2 - 2.5 inches. Try to find a post here, where a pool collapsed because it was 2.5" out of level.

No it is not! We had one that "rolled over" due to being unlevel like that. They got real lucky no one was hurt.

I had a 14x42 Ultra Frame that was a couple of inches low on one side. It lasted a couple of years, but once the top rail rusted, it broke at the low spot and the liner ruptured and flooded my yard. It can happen.

With bigger kids, I would let it go. Obviously, because I did. But with little ones, it would be irresponsible to take that chance.

As the age goes up the real trouble starts LOL. The above example about it rolling over was cause by a couple of pre-teens making a "wave" and over it went!

Every above ground pool SHOULD be within 1" level all the way around. The ground should be lowered to the lowest spot instead of built up with sand or dirt to a higher level as the water will compress it down and cause it to be unlevel again.

Kim

Really, so the top rail rusting and breaking had nothing to do with the rupture.

- - - Updated - - -

No it is not! We had one that "rolled over" due to being unlevel like that. They got real lucky no one was hurt.

As the age goes up the real trouble starts LOL. The above example about it rolling over was cause by a couple of pre-teens making a "wave" and over it went!

Every above ground pool SHOULD be within 1" level all the way around. The ground should be lowered to the lowest spot instead of built up with sand or dirt to a higher level as the water will compress it down and cause it to be unlevel again.

Kim

Do you have any before and after pictures of this alleged rollover? How unlevel was your pool.

Really, so the top rail rusting and breaking had nothing to do with the rupture.

Of course it did, that's why I mentioned it. But all Intex pools are subject to rust out. The added strain caused by the low side made it buckle at that point. I'm not sure it would have collapsed so spectacularly if it had been level. The strain on the top rails is not so apparent now that my replacement pool is level.

Why are you so adamant to defend your position? Are you going to have to be the one to level it? With small children involved, I will always err on the side of caution.

You probably think Kim and I are being overly dramatic, but I think you are being reckless with your advice, especially when others' kids are involved.

I'm missing 1380ken's point.

AGP are designed, engineered to be built on level undisturbed soil. The mass of the water holds the pool together. Shifting the mass in a manner not contemplated by the designers is not the best move and can lead to catastrophic failure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.