New User - New Pool Log , Swamp to Blue

b4pool

Apr 25, 2016
OMAHA
New user to the forum, wanted to introduce myself and my Pool.

Bought house with 20' above ground pool. Last year, had it opened by same guy previous owners used to close it. Everything was good, save for the fact I would get silt, or sand on the bottom. Even after vacuuming to waste, a day or two later strands of silt would be back. This eventually led to demotivate me to keep it clean and coupled with last minute length travel plans, by the end of the year it had turned into a swamp. Pool has sand filter, not sure if it has broken lateral. Most likely going to replace the sand and clean out the filter just to be sure.

I was traveling a lot, and never was able to make a concerted effort to clear it. Eventually winter came, quicker than expected, so I just drained it down a few feet and left it uncovered all winter.

Now I get to catch up on all my procrastination.

Here is what pool looks like today:

pool Pictures, pool Images, pool Photos, pool Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing Video Hosting

So obviously have a ton of work to do. I have ordered the k2006 test kit.

Once I get the filter and pump square I plan on the following:

• Going to remove as much as the leaf debris from bottom as I can.
  • Then brush down the sides and bottom as much as possible
  • Slam the pool per instructions on this site.

My question is, is this really the easiest way? I am not greatly concerned with cost. Still want to do it myself, but would draining it down, cleaning all the gunk off the bottom, and cleaning with bleach solution and refill, not be easier and less time consuming?

Thanks and wish me luck

New user to the forum, wanted to introduce myself and my Pool.

Bought house with 20' above ground pool. Last year, had it opened by same guy previous owners used to close it. Everything was good, save for the fact I would get silt, or sand on the bottom. Even after vacuuming to waste, a day or two later strands of silt would be back. This eventually led to demotivate me to keep it clean and coupled with last minute length travel plans, by the end of the year it had turned into a swamp. Pool has sand filter, not sure if it has broken lateral. Most likely going to replace the sand and clean out the filter just to be sure.

I was traveling a lot, and never was able to make a concerted effort to clear it. Eventually winter came, quicker than expected, so I just drained it down a few feet and left it uncovered all winter.

Now I get to catch up on all my procrastination.

Here is what pool looks like today:

pool Pictures, pool Images, pool Photos, pool Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing Video Hosting

So obviously have a ton of work to do. I have ordered the k2006 test kit.

Once I get the filter and pump square I plan on the following:

• Going to remove as much as the leaf debris from bottom as I can.
  • Then brush down the sides and bottom as much as possible
  • Slam the pool per instructions on this site.

My question is, is this really the easiest way? I am not greatly concerned with cost. Still want to do it myself, but would draining it down, cleaning all the gunk off the bottom, and cleaning with bleach solution and refill, not be easier and less time consuming?

Thanks and wish me luck
It would be, but that's not a good option for you. Your liner could shift and wrinkle without the weight of the water to hold it in place. Leave at least a foot of water in there if possible.

If you want to be fast, rent a trash pump and figure out how to connect a pool vacuum hose and head to it and clean everything off the bottom at the same time you drain it down.

I would recommend just following the TFP method. If anything, you will at least learn a lot about pool maintenance and see exactly how easy it is. I was in the same boat as you -- swamp green pool, wanted it fixed even if it cost me some money -- after close to $300 at the pool store and warehouse store, I still had a green pool. TFP took me a week and a half and around $50 in supplies (not including test kit). So really you already did the hard part which is ordering a test kit, and the only thing left to do is type numbers in pool calc and invert bleach bottles!

Here's a little before and after of my pool for you... trust me, you can do it!

U6xFOJD.jpg
gRn9dSB.jpg

Appreciate the words of encouragement guys. Hopefully you are right. The water is pretty clear atleast. I can perfectly see all the gunk at the bottom!

I will update as I continue. Have to travel this upcoming weekend, so plan on starting the battle next monday. Hopefully a week later on the following monday I will have a totally different looking pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.