Looking for some input on my equipment diagram

mfk0213

Gold Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
TX
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. I've used it for numerous useful information over the years, browsing other people's questions. I was wondering if you could take a look at a proposed pool diagram, and let me know what you think, if there are issues, better ways to do things, pitfalls, etc.

Let me tell you my goals:
1) To be able to independently run the spa separately from the pool, at the same time
2) To be able to heat the pool, the spa, or both

That's basically it. Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks,
Mo

Pool Diagram.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Are the pool and spa connected? Do you really need 2 pumps and 2 filters? That is a little atypical.

What is the 2-way after the heater for?
You really have 2 SWGs? There really is no need for check valves with a SWG setup.

There are sure a lot of valves and I would be afraid that you could end up with them in the wrong orientation and end up causing problems.

Thanks, Jason. Sorry for the delayed response. I was thinking I'd get an email when someone responded. It is atypical. I'm an engineer, and like to make things atypical. :)
Spa waterfalls into pool. 2 way is to allow me to isolate heater (have had a lot of bad luck with heaters). Yes, I have 2 SWGs, haven't installed them yet. Check valves are for the heater to keep ozone and cl from backing into it.

The idea is that the valves would be automated (eventually).

Thanks for your feedback!

PS I updated my signature, but it doesn't look like it took.
34k plaster pool.

There is no ozone of CL to go back to the heater. The SWG will only generate when the water is moving.
Check valves are needed for the Trichlor tablet chlorinators because when the pump is off the water gets very acidic and can back up to the heater.

Still don't understand why two pumps and two filters. That's just more things to go wrong and troubleshoot. Because you are running your spa so separate the SWG may not provide sufficient sanitation if you actually use the spa.

Not sure about the diagram but if you want to heat the spa at the same time the pool is running you would need the two filters and pumps I believe. I want to do something like that one day but costs$$$ and no room on our equipment pad.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do WJR. I want to be able to run the pool and heat the spa, simultaneously. In winter, I'd like to have access to the spa (I live in Texas, so we have hot tub usability probably through November, comfortably), without messing with the winterized pool. However, I want to have cross-connect capability (hence all the weird valve connections, etc)., as a failsafe/redundancy. If one pump fails, I can run the entire system on the other pump temporarily. But, I agree with others, more parts, more things to go wrong; however, I'm ok with that to be able to use my spa independently through fall/early winter. I'm basically looking for a sanity check - do you see any loop circulation, etc, that could cause some problems (other than component failure, which is a given). Is there a better way to accomplish this, etc.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.