Aerating - how to adjust return jet eyeball?

katherineutc

Silver Supporter
Dec 1, 2015
Concord, NC
Ok so first off, I'm going to show a pic of my pool, because it went from dull to clear and sparkly after I took out the Ecosmarte junk and added CYA and chlorine to the pool, following the instructions I was provided with here. I'm geeking out over it :cool:

Second - I started out putting enough chlorine in to get up to about 12 FC, and let it drift down as instructed, so it's sitting at 4 right now. PH is just below 7.8, I'd say 7.7. TA is 180 (down from 220 a week ago). CH is still pretty high, around 500 or 525. I added some MA yesterday, about half a gallon. I looked like Walter White out there with all my protective safety gear on, pouring it in over the return lol. I have to test today when I get home - I know I'm going to have to use aeration to get the PH back up without also driving up TA. Here's my issue, I tried to see if my return eyeballs adjust, and I can't move them. I have tried YouTube, searching on here, trying to figure out how to adjust them so I can get one pointed up and get some bubbles going. I can't figure it out! I looked up some other ways to aerate, not sure I'm handy enough to configure one of the piping gadgets some of y'all have done, I'd prefer to keep this as simple as possible. I also don't mind buying a small air compressor if need be.

jma9h6a

Yeah, some of those return jet eyeballs can be a bit troublesome. But I was just thinking the same thing .... if you didn't' want to mess with the eyeballs or try to configure a separate pipe to create a fountain, then a simple submersible pump should work on an "as-needed" basis just to help create some aeration.

Not sure about your particular returns, but one of my eyeballs was "stuck" and I could not turn the outer ring to loosen it. The PB stopped by and he said to just stick a screwdriver in the hole and you could aim the jet using the screwdriver as a lever. And then he produced a screwdriver from his shirt pocket and aimed mine for me! But by all means, be careful, don't break your return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.