Newbie to site, own pool for 3 yrs. HELP! LOL.

Apr 25, 2016
houston, Tx
Yall will think I am green but I am over loaded with info. I have read so much it has been confusing. I am looking forward to some experienced help here. First, I need to know which kit is BEST for all testing. I will start there. I already know I need to drain my pool, slam it and start fresh. So, with that being said, which kit? I put my pool info in the profile but not sure it will show up lol.

I have a standard test kit from Leslie's Pools. Chlorine, Bromine and PH tester.

Draining may be unnecessary.

The best kit dollar for dollar, is the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net It has all the tests you will need unless you have a SWG then you need to add the salt test.

Post a few pics and let's see what we're working with.

It'll take about three days to get to you.....don't be frustrated.....it's worth the wait.

You can make some progress while you are waiting on your kit. Each evening, add a small jug of Clorox (pump running) in front of a return so it is quickly7 diluted. Brush those green spots each evening as well. Don't worry if they don't come out.....we're just getting started!

Post your test results when your kit comes in and we'll be off and running.

Also, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School, it's the basics for everything we do.

Welcome! :wave:

Just starting out cold, reading Pool School can make you feel :crazy:

Once you have a proper test kit and start doing the chemistry, it will click and make sense. There's a fairly steep learning curve as you get things in shape, and after that it's just coasting. Before Memorial Day your pool will be sparkling and you'll be an old pro and bored with the pool maintenance because it's so troublefree and predictable. That test kit will probably have paid for itself by then, too, what with all the potions and elixirs the pool store won't be selling you this year.

attachment.php

Lol. Thanks guys. I should have bought the kit 2 yrs ago but use Leslie's to test the water. I know lol. I learned my lesson, only took 2 yrs to get un-manageable so not bad. :) I did not see an option for the XL kit or speed stir? I did not read that in the info on the site, must have missed it.

- - - Updated - - -

I cant find the 8% clorox around here so I guess regular clorox id ok?

One other thing, How can I properly measure my pool to find out how many Gallons it really is? It is an odd shaped oval pool, runs from 3.5 ft down to 13 ft. Length plus the widest part width wise? I can take a pic put don't know how to add it to this site, I will use my phone. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Use Pool Math http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html Towards the bottom it has a calculator to help. If you need to "break" your pool up into part and do it a part at a time and add it all together. We will fine tune it after you get your test kit.

Great Value Bleach from Walmart (plain, unscented) is what quite a few people use. So long as it is bleach and the % is listed you will be fine. If the % is not listed it is not worth your time.

Kim :cat:

What part of Houston do you live in? Let me know if I can help.

This reminds me it would be nice if we had a resource set up where we had a list of knowledgeable people in areas of the country or state who could devote a little time to help those new to the process. I would volunteer. I have been extremely impressed with this site and my pool has never looked better.

Lol. I dont buy a lot of chemicals from them. I used liquid bleach until a year ago, phos free and their shock. I switched to tabs thinking I could save money, boy was I wrong lol. I read the tabs cause lots of problems but I clean and check my pool daily, I thought I could prevent that stuff from happening. Now I am back to square one. Not having the right test kit is my issue. No more short cuts for me lol. I have two bottles of the 10% chlorine left and will add a bottle this afternoon when the sun goes down to kick start my process. My kit should be here by the weekend. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.