Pool Builder Using Amazon Fulfillment Items

Mar 2, 2016
New Orleans
So PB dropped off some of the equipment over the weekend, and noticed that the lights (which are Intellibrite, so I know good quality stuff, the 500W equivalent ones) have "Amazon Warehouse" inspection stickers on the boxes.

From my quick checking into it, looks like Amazon Warehouse stuff is stuff that works just fine, but has some minor cosmetic damage (for example, the two lights I just looked at, one said "less than 5%" cosmetic damage and the other said "less than 10%"). Now I'm not opposed to sometimes buying Amazon Warehouse things for myself if I can get a good deal, but for some reason it's just rubbing me a bit the wrong way that the PB bought these to save like $50.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If he does that on 10 builds then he's paying a worker's salary for a week. Contractor math is different than owner's math. I had to wait in line for assistance at the lumber desk at Home Depot last week because the guy ahead of me was trying to shave about $15 off his lumber purchase of about $200. He wasn't even trying to price match, just arguing that the price "should have been lower."

I would be a little ******. Not necessarily for the 50 bucks or the slightly less than new lights...but more that the PB's goal now seems to be completing project at minimum cost. So where else is he/She cutting corners that will not be visible to our untrained eyes?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

On second thoughts - Amazon Fulfillment is different from Amazon Warehouse Deals.

There are third party vendors who use Amazon to store, pack and ship their merchandise. These are what is called as Amazon Fullfillment ( warehouse deals are also Amazon fulfillment) Most likely, your PB bought the items from a vendor on Amazon who uses Amazon Fulfillment. See below. So they are not necessarily used or a Amazon Warehouse Deal item.

[h=1]About Fulfilled by Amazon[/h] Items "Fulfilled by Amazon" are offered by a third-party seller, but shipped from an Amazon Fulfillment Center to you.
All Amazon.com standard shipping rates and policies apply to these items when shipped within the U.S., including free shipping on qualifying orders and Prime shipping. International shipping may not be available for all items.
When your order ships, the carrier, ship date, and estimated delivery date for your package will be listed in Your Account and can be found in your shipment confirmation e-mail. If you have a tracking or delivery confirmation number, you can track your package by clicking the Track packages link in Your Account.
Amazon also handles all customer service and product returns for "Fulfilled by Amazon" items. If you need assistance with anything, please visit our Help pages by clicking the word "Help" at the top of any page of our website.

Thanks for all the quick replies. Those were some of my thoughts - if they're cutting corners on this, what else (from our untrained eyes it doesn't seem that they are, but what do we know), and right, I think the spirit of the contract is for new items.

I know, it's a bit unclear. What makes me think they are used/open box is that the sticker says "inspected" (and the boxes look a little beat up), so why would they say that if they were new, just being fulfilled by Amazon??

Agree with your displeasure. Interestingly, mine was previously sold (and boogered up) then returned and sold to me through a pool supply warehouse my PB used. Your PB did it intentionally and it can happen accidentally too.

Warranted as new and new are different things. I'd definitely have to at least have a discussion with my PB about that concept.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ordering from Amazon by a professional Pool Builder is probably not a good sign. Either they are too small and don't meet the volume requirements for having an account with the manufacturers. Or don't have the required credit to maintain the account.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Certainly plan to ask those questions. They are quite small, we were aware of that, and relatively new (though have been excavating for years and years). The funny thing is, seems that they do have an account with Pentair, as she keeps mentioning the rep. So I don't know what's going on. But definitely intend to ask some questions.

That is kinda odd. I would have no problem with it as long as I was sharing in the savings. If that's the way they play, tell them you'll order everything, and pay them for labor. A fair amount of the Amazon warehouse deals items I have ordered have been NIB. I ordered struts one time for like half price. One of them had been opened, and the other was still glued shut from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really what is wrong about an open box item from somewhere like Amazon vs say the same part that has been riding around in a contractors truck for the past 4 pool builds that was opened up on a previous build but not used for some reason?

Agree with those sentiments. It's not so much what it is, just seems a little funny how they're going about it. That's all. Not planning to have a huge knock down drag out fight over it or anything, just want to inquire about it.

With all due respect Philboy j has identified the real problem here. What is he not buying direct from the manufacturer? What warranty are you getting? With Pentair you get a 60 day warranty, a one year warranty or a three year warranty. Which one are you getting?

Its complicated see the terms: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/LimitedWarrantyCard.pdf

The builder may be saving money but you may not be getting more than a 60 day warranty. Read the whole warranty card, including the footnotes.

Alright, quick update -

Finally had a chance to talk to PB this morning. She insists that these came via the Pentair rep, and I am inclined to believe her. Certainly seems a little strange, but perhaps Pentair got them back from Amazon or something?? I don't know. She says she is going to check with the rep, make sure the warranty is the same as new, and if that's the case, I guess I'm not too concerned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.