Question for pump gurus (troubleshooting)

Oct 13, 2015
Woodlands, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi all,

I had posted this as a continuation of a question I had about cloudy sand in my pool in another thread, but as my question now shifted to pump mechanics I thought I'd move it here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Good news for anyone following along. I think the white dust was just a byproduct of all the leaves and organic matter breaking down.
After running the pump for 24 hours it was almost all cleared up and I didn't have to add anything to the pool.

Only thing is now my pump seems to be busted? I turned it off (service mode) to clear the filter of the sandy mess at the filter integrated into the pump (challenger pentair made by century centurion) and when I went to turn it back on I can hear power going to the pump but it won't move water and then clicks off audibly after maybe 5 seconds. Seems like it is also overheating. Luckily we have a home warranty so I'm hoping it is covered and can get it fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried, for lack of a better term, "jiggling" a wire coat hanger around into the intake pipe but could only get it maybe 2 inches past the opening. I pulled the filter basket out and cleaned it completely then replaced it correctly. Not sure if I need to do something else to check the impeller or if it sounds like I did it right.

I tried filling the pump with a hose, ran it for probably 10 minutes at 3/4 strength flow but it seems to continue to drain through the system as opposed to ever actually filling up. I hope that doesn't mean a leak has sprung somewhere?

For anyone still following along, sounds like the motor was shot. They are going to replace it with a rebuilt motor (through my home warranty) and I am hoping it gets me through the summer. I planned on upgrading the heater/pump set up this fall anyways to get better warming results.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions in the other thread!

Our first yeah I this home with a pool. July will ne one year. Prior owner had the shaft seals leaking killing the motor. Without a squirrel cage blower running airflow over pump motor it would trip off on thermal overload. Nursed it over the summer but now trying to find the best value in a 2 speed-230V pump.

In in my limited pool knowledge it seems pump is shot or has a major blockage causing it to work really hard.

Good old luck OP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.