Dolphin Nautilus Plus issues

Jan 12, 2011
Bel Air, MD
So I got the Nautilus Plus and I am not really happy with it. I think its because I may have too many leaves. Are there any robots that work better with a good amount of leaves? I am close to returning this because I have literally emptied the filter like 10 times in 2 days. Also, it doesn't really go high up on the walls and has not even cleaned 25% of the pool yet.

Robots in general are not great at handling leaves or large items such as maple seeds or even acorns! Leaves on the bottom are much more efficiently removed with a leaf rake, manually. If the leaves are sinking to the bottom, maybe you should try to improve your skimming action on the pool surface during the heavy leaf times to help the skimmers catch the leaves rather than them getting water-logged then sinking to the bottom to cause your robot problems. Can you redirect your returns to get better surface skimming? Angling the returns so that there is a slight ripple at the surface is usually best for skimming action. Getting them in the right angle to maximize skimming action, surface water rotation and direction toward skimmers is the trick... Longer pump run times during heavy leaf drop periods might help as well.

Agreed, robots and pool cleaners are designed to pick up small debris not leaves. We have a ton of trees that drop leaves and lots of stuff in the pool during spring and fall. We have a variable speed pump that we run 24x7 at 1100 rpm during busy times for maximum skimming. It only uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. At 10.25c/kWh it costs 12 bucks a month to run the pump 24x7. At times we have to empty the skimmer baskets every 15 minutes and still use the leaf rake. We have two different leaf rake nets also, one that is coarser for picking up dozens of leaves and another finer mesh for getting smaller stuff. Then we put the pool cleaner in to get the small stuff.

So I got the Nautilus Plus and I am not really happy with it. I think its because I may have too many leaves. Are there any robots that work better with a good amount of leaves? I am close to returning this because I have literally emptied the filter like 10 times in 2 days. Also, it doesn't really go high up on the walls and has not even cleaned 25% of the pool yet.
I just used my Nautilus Plus for the first time this weekend, and it went up all the way to the tile line and cleaned along the entire tile line. I watched it as it ran to the right side along the whole tile line on the deep end. It even climbed my stairs and the went up the tile line, so I'm not sure. All I know is that I came back 3 hours later to a spotless pool...and I mean SPOTLESS!

My Dolphin S300 has been great on picking up leaves (my primary problem). It's only been 3 days so I don't have a lot of data points. Basket seems more suited to leaves. This is the basket:

filtro-fine-per-dolphin-s200-s300-dettaglio.JPG

As for scrubbing walls, it climbs to the point where the entire front roller clears the waterline.

There are no settings to change on this Nautilus Plus correct? There is no "learn your pool setting" or something? Do I need to change anything on the float,etc?
I just used my Nautilus Plus for the first time this weekend, and it went up all the way to the tile line and cleaned along the entire tile line. I watched it as it ran to the right side along the whole tile line on the deep end. It even climbed my stairs and the went up the tile line, so I'm not sure. All I know is that I came back 3 hours later to a spotless pool...and I mean SPOTLESS!

There are no settings to change on this Nautilus Plus correct? There is no "learn your pool setting" or something? Do I need to change anything on the float,etc?

Correct there are no settings. Just drop in water and push start button on box. It has it's own built-in Intelliscan system that learns your pools shape and it becomes more efficient in cleaning it over time from what I read. I didn't mess with any floats, although I did have a question on the 4 white styrofoam pieces around the wheels...whether to remove them or not and LUCKILY I was instructed by some fellow members on here that those are NOT TO BE REMOVED and they help with buoyancy issues...did you keep those on there?

I kept them on, but I was wondering if I should or not, they need to have more info than that little tiny quickstart quide.

Correct there are no settings. Just drop in water and push start button on box. It has it's own built-in Intelliscan system that learns your pools shape and it becomes more efficient in cleaning it over time from what I read. I didn't mess with any floats, although I did have a question on the 4 white styrofoam pieces around the wheels...whether to remove them or not and LUCKILY I was instructed by some fellow members on here that those are NOT TO BE REMOVED and they help with buoyancy issues...did you keep those on there?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.