Input on new equipment planning

billyz

Mar 14, 2016
Western NY - Lake Erie
My pool is currently a traditional chlorine configuration but I am going to transition it to a SWG this spring.

With that in mind, I'm considering purchasing the Hayward Goldline PL-Plus with 40k gallon cell (Amazon.com : Hayward Goldline PL-PLUS ProLogic 40, 000-Gallon Electronic Pool Chlorinator : Swimming Pool Timers : Patio, Lawn Garden)
By my understanding this will give me the salt cell, pump control, heater control and remote/wifi control of those features.

In the future I'll be picking up the pH/Orp sense & dispense to assist in basic chemistry monitoring/control. (Amazon.com : Hayward AQL-CHEM pH/ORP Sense and ORP Dispense Chemistry Kit 1 : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden)

My questions:
What am I missing or doing wrong here?
Those of you with this same unit; will I actually be getting the kind of control I'm expecting?
The unit comes with a 40k gallon cell. My pool is just under 14k gallons. It seems like overkill, but the next smallest unit is on 15k, which seems like cutting it too close. Am I ok with the 40k gallon cell?

Any other thoughts or comments on my plan?

Thanks, I've gotten a ton of information from this forum. It's been a huge help already, and I haven't even taken the winter cover off of this new pool...

Sorry to bump my own post, I'm just hoping to get some feedback from anyone familiar with the above equipment. As the cost is nearly double a basic Hayward SWG cell and timer, I would like to be sure i'm going to get the features/use out of it that i'm hoping for (automated/remote control of pumps, heater and basic chem).

I'm probably going to be opening the pool in a few weeks so I want to be sure i have everything ordered and delivered in time.

All feedback/comments are welcomed. I take constructive criticism quite well. if someone thinks i'm making a mistake or wasting money, please feel free to suggest alternatives!

I just bought the same unit, but have yet to install it. One thing that I know for sure is that like the pH sensing the automation are add on accessories as well. I think about another $500 for the antenna for the unit and the home network. The unit as is controls the heater, lights, pump, salt cell and actuators from its panel only. Here are a couple of automation options I compared. For now, I am just wiring an additional to the house for indoor control. I would like wifi access, but it's not a priority for me now.

Hayward Residential and Commercial Pool Products - Compare Products

Update - I dont think is almost double the cost tho. A stand alone AQR-15 (with T15 cell obviously) was ~$900, with this about ~$100-200 more. I still have to buy breakers, wire, etc. which will add a little more the total cost. But will give me a lot of flexibility on everything now.

When i mentioned "double the cost" I should have mentioned that my fallback plan, if I don't buy the PL-Plus, is to pick up the Amazon.com : Hayward AQ-TROL-RJ AquaTrol Salt Chlorination System for Above-Ground Pools up to 18, 000 gallons : Swimming Pool Chlorine : Patio, Lawn Garden which is only about $500.

Thanks for the heads up on the wifi antenna. I thought it was part of the base unit (as it's pictured as part of it on Amazon). That's particularly annoying. Do you know if the add-on is literally just an antenna or does it include other controller hardware/circuits required for wifi?

Nah, it gets expensive quick. The extras:

Wireless 900 MHz Antenna; Item #AQL2-BASE-RF; ~$150
Wireless Tabletop Remote (not wi-fi); Item #AQL2-TW-RF-P-4; ~$350
AquaConnect Home Network Device; Item #AQ-CO-HOMENET; ~$400

You would need the antenna and the home network device to use wi-fi and control via internet. I think this is how is supposed to work, but I could be wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.