Slippery Deck

woody

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 20, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
My IG deck was just completed with a concrete resurfacing material made of Portland Cement, silica sands, and acrylic bonding agents our pb called duradeck. Its very nice looking, but very slippery when wet. We complained that our kids are slipping and the subcontractor came back out and applied something to increase COF. While it seems to be better when dry, I find no difference when wet.

Is there a surface treatment that can be applied to this stuff that will improve the friction when wet and not come off? I'm afraid to have my kids friends over for fear of slips.

woody said:
My IG deck was just completed with a concrete resurfacing material made of Portland Cement, silica sands, and acrylic bonding agents our pb called duradeck. Its very nice looking, but very slippery when wet. We complained that our kids are slipping and the subcontractor came back out and applied something to increase COF. While it seems to be better when dry, I find no difference when wet.

Is there a surface treatment that can be applied to this stuff that will improve the friction when wet and not come off? I'm afraid to have my kids friends over for fear of slips.

There's a product out there called sharkskin that is applied to concrete surfaces for your very purpose. I believe it's easy to apply yourself and works well, so I've read.

Hey thanks for the replies. The treatment that the pb applied after my first complaint was called Shark Bite, however I can't find any information on the stuff. It does have a gritty feel, but that doesn't change how slippery it is when it is wet. I believe the Shark Bite is applied with a urethane which means I may not be able to apply anything else and make it stick.

http://www.tlcolors.com/products.htm

Even though my concrete guy put sand in the sealer I am noticing it is slippery when wet. I checked out the sharkskin product that triplebe4me suggested and called a supplier at the link above. They informed me that Sharkskin is a clear like sand that is not slippery at all when applied in heavy dosages. Unfortunately the only way to apply it is adding it to the sealer, therefore, I probably will not use it for another few years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.