Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slippery Deck

1. Back To Top    #1

Slippery Deck

My IG deck was just completed with a concrete resurfacing material made of Portland Cement, silica sands, and acrylic bonding agents our pb called duradeck. Its very nice looking, but very slippery when wet. We complained that our kids are slipping and the subcontractor came back out and applied something to increase COF. While it seems to be better when dry, I find no difference when wet.

Is there a surface treatment that can be applied to this stuff that will improve the friction when wet and not come off? I'm afraid to have my kids friends over for fear of slips.
    22,380 gl ig gunite, Pentair cartridge & pumps, Intellichlor SWG, 8' spa, flagstone sunshelf, stonescape midngt blu, duradeck

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sorry, I don't have any advice, but welcome to TFP!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

I had Stamped concrete put around my pool and had the sealer throw sand in the sealer when applied. When wet it is still slippery but tolerable.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Slippery Deck

Quote Originally Posted by woody
    My IG deck was just completed with a concrete resurfacing material made of Portland Cement, silica sands, and acrylic bonding agents our pb called duradeck. Its very nice looking, but very slippery when wet. We complained that our kids are slipping and the subcontractor came back out and applied something to increase COF. While it seems to be better when dry, I find no difference when wet.

Is there a surface treatment that can be applied to this stuff that will improve the friction when wet and not come off? I'm afraid to have my kids friends over for fear of slips.
    There's a product out there called sharkskin that is applied to concrete surfaces for your very purpose. I believe it's easy to apply yourself and works well, so I've read.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey thanks for the replies. The treatment that the pb applied after my first complaint was called Shark Bite, however I can't find any information on the stuff. It does have a gritty feel, but that doesn't change how slippery it is when it is wet. I believe the Shark Bite is applied with a urethane which means I may not be able to apply anything else and make it stick.
    22,380 gl ig gunite, Pentair cartridge & pumps, Intellichlor SWG, 8' spa, flagstone sunshelf, stonescape midngt blu, duradeck

6. Back To Top    #6

http://www.tlcolors.com/products.htm

Even though my concrete guy put sand in the sealer I am noticing it is slippery when wet. I checked out the sharkskin product that triplebe4me suggested and called a supplier at the link above. They informed me that Sharkskin is a clear like sand that is not slippery at all when applied in heavy dosages. Unfortunately the only way to apply it is adding it to the sealer, therefore, I probably will not use it for another few years.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater