Automatic acid system help

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
I have had my pool for only one season, and check chemicals regularly, but have found that the only chemical I need to constantly put into my pool is ACID to lower my PH. Last season (my first), after adding salt, CYA and CH, I hardly made any adjustments to them all summer. I would like to add an automatic acid feeder to my system, but have the following questions.

1. My strong preference would be to have a feeder that reads the PH electronically and calculates the necessary amount of ACID to add. I understand that a fixed rate pump would probably work fine, but I would enjoy having an electronic reading of PH to compare to my own calculations. On the other hand, if the calibration went astray, I would like to be able to use just a fixed rate addition of ACID. Is there any system that would give me the option of using its calculation of PH to make the equivalent addition of ACID while also permitting me to forego such precision and instead have it drop a fixed rate throughout the day.

2. I have an AQUALINK 2.0 (with free relays) and would like whatever system I get to linkup with it so that I can monitor PH from my phone and compare it to my own testing without going to the PAD to see its measurement. I would also like the ability to increase the fixed rate via my phone.

Below are some pictures of my PAD (they not the best pictures but hopefully they show enough). Thanks for your help.

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

There are steps that you can take to reduce PH rise and lower acid demand if you are interested in pursuing those before getting an acid dosing system.

Reduce aeration by running bubblers, waterfalls, etc less
Lower your TA to 50/60
Add 50 ppm borates

If not, good luck in your search.

Most here are not really keen on the auto ph monitoring / dispensing devices. There are some reliability and related maintenance issues that can introduce more headaches than convenience (e.g., these sensory/monitoring systems are more complicated mechanisms and hence, are just another component that can go wrong or have you investing time getting them to perform as designed).

I'm all for automation. I have set up a stenner pump acid injection system that, although it does not automatically call for acid when ph is low, it still is a real time saver. Once you dial in the dosing time that gets you to a steady ph level, its just a matter of minor adjustments of the timer to get your ph where ever you want it. For me, when I see that my PH is starting to creep up (I only have time to do a quick ph reading on Saturdays), I just add an extra minute to my dosing time and check it the next week. This really is a minimal amount of time and I have been getting some real rock solid ph levels compared to when I was added acid manually.

But again, if there was a reliable and relatively inexpensive and trouble free sensing/auto ph dispensing system, I'd have it installed already.

Thanks for advice everyone. I prefer not to limit my aeration or use borates so I would like an automated system. Is there a system that could be used both ways - an electronic sensing PH that dispenses acid based on its calculation of PH as well as a simple time dispenser if I wanted to forgo the electronic calculation?

Thanks.

The IntelliPH does not have a pH sensor. It is a simple percentage based dose every hour, similar to how a SWG operates.

The automated systems you are looking for all offer ORP sensing for chlorine production/dosing. ORP sensors have been known to be unreliable and subject to interference. If you were to get one of these systems, you'd likely end up disabling the ORP side of the system. Your money would be better spent on a time based system similar to a Stenner.

The IntelliPH does not have a pH sensor. It is a simple percentage based dose every hour, similar to how a SWG operates.

The automated systems you are looking for all offer ORP sensing for chlorine production/dosing. ORP sensors have been known to be unreliable and subject to interference. If you were to get one of these systems, you'd likely end up disabling the ORP side of the system. Your money would be better spent on a time based system similar to a Stenner.

Thanks. So what is the difference between a Stenner ( which I have seen people talk about here) and this IntelliPH? I agree I wouldn't use the ORP but liked the idea of having an electronic PH because I can never tell exactly what the PH is based on the color test.

The biggest difference is the IntelliPH, being a Pentair product, must be used in conjunction with a Pentair SWG. Since you have a Jandy system, stick with their product or go with a Stenner which can work with any system.

They are very similar products otherwise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How do you set up a stenner pump acid injection? I downloaded the manual but it is not clear to me how to set the dosing. Your post mentions you adjust the dosing time, how do you do that? does the pump come with a timer? Thanks for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.