Share with me all the things you do to have a successful summer fling pool party!

northrn

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
Menu:

Drinks:

Activities:

Cool things that you've seen or heard of that sounds like fun:

Decorations:

I will be providing the food and beverages and be the entertainer as well, I suppose.

Tell me what has made a great time at party's you've attended.

Please and thank you!

~Sheila

Menu-finger food that is easy to carry around-pigs in the blanket, sliders, small tarts/pies.

drinks-soda of many kinds and beer

entertainment-music to fit the age group-live if possible but not so loud as you cannot hear talking (NO karaoke LOL sorry but most people should not sing)

decorations-dollar store stuff-they have some neat stuff

activities-twister, limbo, dance floor, bingo

Kim:cat:

Menu-finger food that is easy to carry around-pigs in the blanket, sliders, small tarts/pies.

drinks-soda of many kinds and beer

entertainment-music to fit the age group-live if possible but not so loud as you cannot hear talking (NO karaoke LOL sorry but most people should not sing)

decorations-dollar store stuff-they have some neat stuff

activities-twister, limbo, dance floor, bingo

I would go to Kim's party, but hey come on... just a little karaoke.. especially after a few "sodas"

Opps sorry the power went out! Oh what it is only the power to the karaoke machine? SORRY about that. I will fix it TOMORROW! LOL

Talent shows in school=every child wanting to "sing". We allow them to sing in groups to get it over faster LOL My poor ears.

Twister and limbo after a few "sodas" are the best.....Lefty you do know I TAKE car keys right?? Everyone comes here and hands over phones and car keys. Well I do let the cops keep their phone but NOT allowed to use it except in emergency! Quite a few times my floor ends up full of sleeping people BUT they are safe and I am happy to fix breakfast while THEY clean up from the party! Win-win!

My motto-love the one you are with!

Ahhh...Pool Parties...Always brings back great memories. We've had a few in the past that resembled "Weekend at Bernie's", but we've become slightly less wild since we have gotten a little older more mature.

Menu:
The mainstays...
  • Burgers
  • Deep-fried hot dogs with natural casing (this is a fan favorite)
  • Bratwurst (grilled)
  • Homemade french fries
  • Appetizers (Buffalo wings, deep-fried spring roll wraps with a wide variety of fillings, and taco braids, to name a few)
  • A centerpiece to fit the theme (some examples...Brisket, Fajitas with marinated steak & chicken, Homemade Cuban Sandwiches (another fan fav), Smoked Ribs, Pulled Pork)

Drinks: A full bar, but here are the usual pool party favorites...
  • Ice-cold beer in floating pool coolers
  • Margaritas (various incarnations)
  • Jell-O shots
  • Tequila shots (a.k.a., "Vitamin C" - don't know why)
  • Tortola Pain Killers (a mix of Pusser's Rum with OJ, Pineapple Juice, and Cream of Coconut)
  • Svedka Clementine Vodka infused with fresh Hawaiian pineapple
  • Our soft-drinks mostly consist of water, and lots of it, to keep hydrated while having all this fun. We do have some soda around, but we use it mostly for mixers. Since we are not normally big consumers of sugary drinks, we usually ask guests to bring sodas and "kids drinks" if they partake - not a bad deal considering we're supplying everything else.

Desserts:
  • Assorted ice cream treats
  • Homemade cookies to fit the theme
  • Homemade Cheesecake or Key Lime Pie
  • Homemade Dutch Apple Pie (a la mode, if desired)

Activities:
Depends again on the theme. Examples of recent parties...
  • Usually just visitin'.
  • Sports-related with a game on the patio TV
  • Tossing kids around in the pool (a.k.a., depth charges) and playing "sneak-attack" on them (they love it and I get some exercise)
  • Tossing young ladies into the pool - They pretend to hate it, but they always have a big smile on their face when they hit the water and they come back each year for more.
  • Unless it's a sports-themed party, we usually have tropical music softly playing in the background.

Decorations: Usually something to fit the theme (usually tropical, but sometimes sports or BBQ-themed)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One of the keys to a successful party is to figure out what can be prepped ahead of time. That will make the day of the party that much easier. For example, if I do cheesecake or Key Lime Pie, they have to be done at least a day or two in advance in order for them to set properly. Other condiments like onions, tomatoes, etc. can be sliced/cut up the day before and placed in a ZipLoc bag in the fridge. Burger patties can be formed the day before. Cookies can be baked a day or two in advance and the dough can be made a week or so in advance if tightly wrapped and placed in the fridge. Liquor and soft drinks can be purchased weeks before the party. Ice is usually the big bugaboo since it you need much more of it that you normally would for your usual daily routine and, since it needs to be kept frozen, freezer space is often at a premium. Therefore, that is something you may need to purchase the morning of the party. You could purchase it the day before and keep it in a well-insulated cooler, though a little bit of it will melt and you may have to drain the cooler the morning of the party. I finally broke down and bought a 5 cu ft chest freezer for about $160 that mainly serves as a dedicated ice freezer. It still has room for the ice cream treats as well. This has allowed me to buy ice well in advance and avoid any errands on the day of the party. Just something to consider - it's made my life easier.

Another thing to be mindful of...have ways to keep hot food hot and cold food cold. This means having warming trays or similar devices to keep hot food warm (above 140°F) and double-insulated bowls to keep cold food cold (below 40°F). It also means having good, reliable, and accurate digital thermometers for spot-checking food temps. As much as I like the Thermapen (retails for between $79-99, depending on the version and it's still my first choice), you can purchase a ThermoPop for about $29. The ThermoPop is about 8-9/10ths of a Thermapen - major difference is a 5-6 second read time vs. the almost instantaneous reading of the Thermapen. ThermoWorks is currently offering 15% off sitewide, so now is as good a time as any to step up to a Thermapen at a really good price (see http://www.thermoworks.com/). Yes, I realize this is an investment. However, salmonella and his good buddies e.coli, campylobacter, and Clostridium botulinum are very unwelcome party crashers. As much as I enjoy the fond memories of several of our pool parties, the one thing I am most proud of is that no one has ever gotten food poisoning at any of our events (pool parties, SB parties, Final Four parties, dinner parties, etc.). Despite some of my light-hearted and juvenile antics over the years courtesy of the big kid in me, I take food prep and handling extremely seriously - there is no room for error.

If anyone is interested in a deeper dive on food handling and the science behind the more common bacterial contaminants and how to avoid them, check out this thread: And now, a Few Words on Food Safety Proper Handling. One thing I will mention here for the sake of brevity and convenience, do not keep baked potatoes in foil to keep warm after they have been baked. This has been linked to botulism! More details are available in the aforementioned thread.

Insect Control: Don't know what the mosquitoes are like where you are, but if they are around it is miserable.
Fog the yard a few hours before the party.
Citronella candles are not needed if you do this, they stink the place up anyway.

Around the Pool activities: Horseshoes, corn hole, they don't take much room or skill but can be played with a can-in-the-hand.

In the pool activities: If there are kids, then diving toys are a winner. Hoop diving course; tether 4 hula hoops underwater (weight on bottom, float on top) so kids can swim underwater thru them.

Bo, thanks for all the food prep information! great ideas there!

Oz, thanks for the reminder about bugs. I'll definitely remember to spray a week or so before the event!

and I love the hula hoop idea! thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.