Nitrates - Need Advice

GPBLCC

Apr 24, 2016
Sewell/NJ
I am the head manager of a summer swim club in New Jersey. 200,000 gallon main pool. 8 Lane Competitive pool. The pool is winterized but water is still left in there for the winter. Cover came off Saturday and I have 60 ppm of Nitrates in the pool. Typical algae on bottom of pool and cleaning that still. Does anyone know of ways that I can get rid of the nitrates? Last summer I had to drain the 200,000 gallon pool and call in a favor from the local FD to fill it back up before the BOH inspection. Thanks for the help.

To be honest, that's a thought I had. Being that it is a HUGE pool, the surface area alone could catch the fertilizers. I even thought it could be that I also have a lake with Geese and Ducks around. But there is not evidence of them being on the cover while it is on and being taken off. There are a lot of trees on the grounds. So maybe even the decaying leaves on the cover too.

Thanks!! This site is super helpful, it's my third year as the Head CPO at this site and this is the only pool that I have dealt with this problem

I could tell you what to do in a pond or aquarium. In a pool, you really only have a few options. Reverse osmosis, or replacement. There is a process that works like a water softener but it's not intended for 200,000 gallons.

Maybe one of the resident chemists has an idea...

What are the guidelines for nitrates? What is the most you can have? What increments? ppm?
I'm curious, too. I looked up the state rules http://www.state.nj.us/health/phss/documents/recbathing.pdf and neither nitrate nor phosphate appear when searching the text.

New Jersey does appear to be somewhat enlightened. CYA is supposed to be between 10 and 100, with 30-50 as ideal. Too bad the FC levels aren't adjusted upwards to match the CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Because of my presence of the nitrates my cL levels are being altered. I am going to be doing a phosfree treatment to help lower my phosphates and help with the nitrates. All the local pools in the area are experiencing the same thing that I am dealing with. Yes, I am with Greenwood Park Bells Lake. The NJ BOH does not in fact test for the nitrates, but with trying to stay within a budget with my chemicals Nitrates throw me off completely. I spoke with the Pool Operation Management and this was their suggestion for me and the pool. Ultimately, I was trying to find a solution to the Nitrates without draining the pool and scrubbing it. Which was not fun last summer at all. Thanks to everyone for the insight. Now I can say I have a solution to the problem (knock on wood)

I think that you would do well if you just kept the fc at about 15% of the cya. For example, if your maximum allowed fc is 5 ppm, keep the fc at 5 ppm and the cya at 30 to 35.

Nitrates and phosphates don't directly affect fc. Only when algae is allowed to grow does fc begin to be depleted. However, it's the algae consuming the fc, not the nitrates or phosphates.

Therefore, if you simply maintain adequate fc/cya ratios, you won't have to worry about nitrates or phosphates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.