Algae Problem

Aug 7, 2008
I have had a gunite pool for two years now and fight algae every summer as soon as the water starts to warm up. I spent hundreds of dollars in Leslies last summer with no results.

Can someone please steer me in the right direction. I have read several post about this problem and get real confused as to what to do to solve this.

thanks

They key to keeping pool care easy is testing your water so you know exactly what you need to do instead of just guessing. The first thing to do is to buy a top quality test kit, I recommend a kit from TF Test Kits, see the link in my signature. The Taylor K-2006 is also good.

Get a good test kit, or have your water tested at a pool store, post your test results here, and we can give you specific advice.

I also recommend reading some of our Pool School material. There is lots of information there about how to take care of your pool so that your pool is trouble free.

everglades,

Welcome to the forum. This is the best place on the internet to get your pool questions answered.

Your first step is going to be up in "Pool School" (upper right) and read all the articles in Getting Started and all the articles in Pool Chemistry. That'll get you started and will generate a lot of questions which everyone here will help you answer.

I will tell you that your algae problems are due to a lack of chlorine in your pool. One of the primary things you should take away from pool school is that chlorine is what kills algae but, in so doing, it is likewise consumed and needs to be constantly replenished. You're gonna' need a good test kit but I need to let others help you with that.

A pool that maintains a constant, adequate level of chlorine will not get algae. We just have to help you figure out what that constant, adequate level should be and how to get there.

Hi everglades and welcome to the forum :wave:

Yep, you're gonna' need a good test kit so you can be in control of your pool! No more spending hundreds at the pool store and not seeing results. I recommend TFTestKits, link in my sig.

I see in another post that you have a 'salt water pool'. If you had been trying to shock your pool using a SWG, it probably didn't work. In fact, it is not recommended that the superchlorinate setting be used, as it can shorten the life of the cell.

When you get a moment, please add your location in your profile and your pool/equipment specs in your sig. This is very important info for members responding to your posts.

We're glad to have you. :)

I'm really at a disadvantage as I have a lot of learning to do to get you all the information needed for the solution. I do have a K-2006 test kit and can do the basic test but when it comes to using the dial I can't figure out how to get the results from it. Maybe someone can point me in the direction as to how to use this as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about the dial. If you keep your levels within the recommended ranges you shouldn't need to use the dial.

The dial, Taylor Watergram, is used to determine the calcium saturation index. You can also use my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, to do the same thing. The calcium saturation index is most useful when you have a plaster pool and need one of your numbers to be outside the normal range for some reason.

Post some test results and we can give you some specific advice.

Butterfly said:

Yep, you're gonna' need a good test kit so you can be in control of your pool! No more spending hundreds at the pool store and not seeing results. I recommend TFTestKits, link in my sig.

I see in another post that you have a 'salt water pool'. If you had been trying to shock your pool using a SWG, it probably didn't work. In fact, it is not recommended that the superchlorinate setting be used, as it can shorten the life of the cell.

When you get a moment, please add your location in your profile and your pool/equipment specs in your sig. This is very important info for members responding to your posts.

Not sure how to modify signature?

As you can see, you have no chlorine in your pool. You are inviting algae and will always have it unless you keep chlorine in your pool. Remember, it must be constantly added to your pool.

I would suggest......

1. Get enough muriatic acid to lower your pH down around 7.4 or so. Do this right now....pH 8.0 is not good.

2. Get enough CYA to raise your CYA to around 60ppm. This will help you keep chlorine in your pool.

3. Buy at least 10-15 of the large jugs of Clorox bleach. You are gonna need them all.

4. Once you have accumulated the Clorox, lowered your pH, and put the CYA in your pool, you're about ready.

Again, read those articles in pool school. You need to understand basic pool water chemistry before you start shocking and balancing. Post back up and let us know you're ready to shock and you'll get lots of great help.

How does your water look right now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
everglades26 said:

Go to User Control Panel (top left), then Profile, then Edit Signature. You are allowed 5 lines of text, see our sigs for examples of the info we need. :wink:

I can't imagine Leslie's not helping you. :roll: :rant: (I'm not a fan of Pool Stealers.)

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

We'll help get you set in no time.... :goodjob:

everglades26 said:
Butterfly said:

To change your profile or signature, see the User Control Panel link, just below the TFP logo at the top left side of the forum. Then select the profile link, under Options, and you can edit your location. Click on Edit Signature, again under Options, to change your signature.

Don't worry, things will get easier! :-D

duraleigh said:
As you can see, you have no chlorine in your pool. You are inviting algae and will always have it unless you keep chlorine in your pool. Remember, it must be constantly added to your pool.

I would suggest......

1. Get enough muriatic acid to lower your pH down around 7.4 or so. Do this right now....pH 8.0 is not good.

2. Get enough CYA to raise your CYA to around 60ppm. This will help you keep chlorine in your pool.

3. Buy at least 10-15 of the large jugs of Clorox bleach. You are gonna need them all.

4. Once you have accumulated the Clorox, lowered your pH, and put the CYA in your pool, you're about ready.

Again, read those articles in pool school. You need to understand basic pool water chemistry before you start shocking and balancing. Post back up and let us know you're ready to shock and you'll get lots of great help.

How does your water look right now?

It is clear as a can be. Just little spots of algae growing everywhere. I have added the muratic acid and the PH is approx. 7.2. Should I also add the clorox? It is 45K gallons. If so how many do you think?

Use the Pool Calculator, enter your gallonage and all your current numbers in the "Now" column, and then enter the recommended levels in the "goal" column and hit calculate and it will tell you how much of the chlorine and how much of the CYA to add. Go ahead and add both.

For the CYA, how you add it depends on what kind of filter you have? (Update your Signature)

For the chlorine, you pour it very slowly in front of the return while the pump is running, carefully so you don't splash yourself or the pool.

I have updated my signature thanks to you guys. If any other information is needed please let me know.

I tested my pool again today and here's how it reads:
Free Chlorine .5
Chlorine1.5
PH7.4
Alkalinity80
Calcium HArdness120
CYA?? Not sure if I Performed correctly? This happened two days in a row.

Please let me know if these numbers make sense!!

When doing the CYA test, if you can still see the black dot the the result is 0.

Have you added any CYA/stabilizer/conditioner yet? When you do, give it a week to dissolve before testing the CYA level again.

Hi, Ryan,

Your gonna need all that clorox (and more) in your pool to shock and get rid of the algae.

Before that, I would suggest enough CYA to get up to 30ppm since you apparently have none. What issues are you having with the test?

Don't put the Clorox in just yet.......let's get your CYA defined first.

fwiw, if you are down in FL as I'm guessing you are, you can probably get chlorine (the 2.5gal refills) at a pool store cheaper than bleach. esp with that big of a pool and now you have algae, could probably save a fair amount if you have one near you.

reebok said:
fwiw, if you are down in FL as I'm guessing you are, you can probably get chlorine (the 2.5gal refills) at a pool store cheaper than bleach. esp with that big of a pool and now you have algae, could probably save a fair amount if you have one near you.
Excellent idea :goodjob: Not only maybe save $$, but also save on the # of big jugs you gotta' carry :p

See if this helps with the CYA test. It's a visual from Taylor, scroll to the bottom:

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.