Jul 2, 2013
Central Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,

Well, a nice spring day today was punctuated by the popping sound of my Triton II Sand Filter casing losing its integrity. The first photo (attached below) shows the failed unit - with a frown as the point of failure (ironic, isn't it?). With that failure in mind, I have a couple of questions:
  1. Is this an odd occurrence for this type of filter given that this filter was about 17 years old?
  2. For 15 plus of those 17 years, this unit (along with all of the pumping system) was exposed to a direct western sun every afternoon. Is it accurate to believe that over time, the sun likely contributed to this unit's failure?
  3. If that is true, last year we built a cover for this unit. The cover is a wood frame, with tarps for the sides and aluminum on the top (and is shown in the second attached photo). There is air flow inside this structure and after the cold weather left us for the year, we removed the front tarp cover. Might this structure have contributed to the demise of the pump by keeping heat around? I don't think this is likely since it hasn't been that warm yet, BUT when we replace this sand filter I do NOT want to place this cover back on (or around) this pump if it could be causing an issue.

I'm looking at replacing this failed filter with the same brand / type of filter so the connections will (hopefully) require no modifications. After so many years elapsing since this unit was replaced, is it likely the current Triton II Sand Filter units (if they are still made and sold) will fit my existing fittings?

Thanks to any and all for your thoughts and / or observations.

Attachments

• blown sand filter.jpg
    blown sand filter.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 73
  • frame structure.jpg
    frame structure.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 79
Constant exposure to the sun caused your failure. You had the right idea to protect it but you had it too late.

Triton II sand filters are a big seller. I doubt they have changed much.

Thanks for the info Texas Splash and Duraleigh. We are back up and running with a new Purex Triton II sand filter. I had forgotten how expensive this stuff can be but I got it quick, reinstalled it, and we are up and running with about an hour's work invested.

One follow up question if I could - in assembling the new pressure top (the black top where the pressure gauge also connects), I find I have a small leak from the area where the pressure gauge screws into the black housing.

I did NOT wrap any plumber's tape around the gauge before screwing it on (in) so my question is would one wrap of plumber's tape around the pressure gauge screw in be okay (i.e. not hurt anything)?

Thanks!

Won't hurt a thing. There can be fierce debates here on just how much teflon to use. My preference is 2-3 wraps but you may hear more or you may here less. It most always causes a debate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.