Found leak around Skimmer, now what?

Lula

Mar 7, 2016
MIAMI, FLA.
Hi,
I have discovered a leak or two around the edge of my skimmer. I am not sure what to use to seal it. I think it was sealed by previous owner with something that I can scrap off with my fingernail, chalk like consistency. I didnt want to walk into Home Depot without a clue about what to get. This pool does have a re-plastering in its future, although not this year, so a semi temporary fix is ok with me. Just long enough for the Pool Repair Fairy to drop off the basket of money it is going to take!!

Thanks for any and all advice!

Attachments

• IMG_1556.jpg
    IMG_1556.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 178
Hi Lula, I'm not sure but it looks like they used some sort of caulking to repair. looking at the pics I would suggest cleaning as much of the old caulking off and then use a clear silicone to reseal till the repair fairy arrives.

Hopefully one of the experts on your type of pool will read this and let us know if there is a better solution. Good luck and keeping praying to the pool gods :D

Thank you Lefty - I think I found the product to use from another thread. Sikaflex self leveling polyurethane. (I am guessing here..) Hopefully this comes with complete instructions! I will scrap the old caulking off before hand. Are there are any other do's or don'ts I should know?

Thank you Mattttt25,
Can you tell me how to remove the caulk? Do I just scrape it off like I would outside of the pool? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question but I am Newbie to pools. Every time I read something I realize I have so much to learn... just the lingo alone!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Correct the Sikaflex self-leveling product is poured into the joint and is used for expansion joints between pools and decks. A tube of polyurethane caulk is better for this application.

I have never heard of underwater curing caulk, but that sounds great. Thanks for jumping in with that. Most polyurethane caulks require curing prior to working under water.

Your signature says you have an above ground plaster pool. I don't think that is possible. Please verify and update your signature. Post a pic if you are unsure.

Also, make sure you read exactly what materials are needed to clean up the product that you buy. It sounds like you have not applied caulk before and are therefore likely to have a mess to clean up afterwards. These caulks are typically very difficult to clean up without the proper chemical specified by the manufacturer.

Thanks Pooldv and Pabeader -
On average, how long does it take for polyurethane caulk to cure? I have my water level low enough that I can keep the surface dry with pump off. Also am worried about how much of the previous attempts to seal do I need to remove? down to the bone?
Thanks again-
Lula

Each product is likely different on cure times, I don't know what is typical. You need to remove anything that is loose, especially along joints. The more removed the better chance of a good seal.

3M 5200 isn't recommended to be installed under the water (although I have boating experience where it has worked). But it is used for applications where it will be under the water after curing. They sell a fast-cure version that sets up in about 30 minutes and fully cures in 24 hours. That's what I used. Lower pool level to below skimmer, remove old caulk with knife/scraper, clean up, let it dry a day, apply 5200, let it cure a day, all good.

JB Weld sells a product that can be applied under the water, if you ever need it.

JB Weld sells a product that can be applied under the water, if you ever need it.

I'm going to be trying the JB WaterWeld on my skimmer this weekend. I have a skimmer ring (sits under the skimmer basket) that has separated from the skimmer bucket itself. It happened quite some time ago before I owned the pool, likely when they didn't close properly and had ice break the ring in the skimmer. It was held in place by a bit of silicone, but I'm going to try a full fix with JB WW. I should have done it before refilling but I got impatient... I'll maybe do a repair thread once I do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.