May 18, 2015
pittsburgh pa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, winter cover fell in so opening early in pa....

unfortuantely, a lot o junk on the cover fell in creating some algae.

My EC40 which i bought last year pressure rising pretty quick and not filtering very good because of. I took it apart, the fingers were dark green. Hosed them down, put filter back together and seems pressure still rising fast. Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

It's clogged with algae. It's going to keep doing it until you get it all killed and filtered out. DE filters are the best at filtering and therefore the worst about clogging. Keep bumping until bumping doesn't last, then follow the cleaning routine and recharge. And follow the SLAM procedure so you get that algae killed faster than it can reproduce.

Pools looking real good, but i have another question about the EC40 (this is my second season with it).

Sometimes after I take it apart to clean out the inside parts, put it back together carefully. When i start up it seems the basket in the pump doesnt fill up all the way, i.e. have bubbles. I've checked the hoses for any air cant find anything.. Sometimes after it runs for a while they'll mostly go away.

Is there some trick or sequence i should be following to get it to run well quickly?

Thanks,
Tony

Try turning off the pump, unscew the pump basket lid just enough to let the air bleed out (carefull not to unscrew it all the way or water will gush out at you). Turn cover back tight and pump on.

What I typically do for pools with any of the finger-type filters - is use a submersible pump to circulate the water while slamming. Once the algae is dead, the EC's don't clog as fast as they do with live algae.

It sure would be nice if they all came with filter bypass valves or multiports to vacuum to waste. Pool life would be so much easier.
You can create a syphon by holding the vac plate up to your return (if it's not one of those aerator ones) and leave the other end of the hose out of your pool on the ground, and vacuum to waste, bypassing your filter and saving lots of DE. This only works on AG pools...

What I typically do for pools with any of the finger-type filters - is use a submersible pump to circulate the water while slamming. Once the algae is dead, the EC's don't clog as fast as they do with live algae.

It sure would be nice if they all came with filter bypass valves or multiports to vacuum to waste. Pool life would be so much easier.
You can create a syphon by holding the vac plate up to your return (if it's not one of those aerator ones) and leave the other end of the hose out of your pool on the ground, and vacuum to waste, bypassing your filter and saving lots of DE. This only works on AG pools...
what submersible pump? Pic our model would be helpful.

Try turning off the pump, unscew the pump basket lid just enough to let the air bleed out (carefull not to unscrew it all the way or water will gush out at you). Turn cover back tight and pump on.
Thank you, this helps out immensely! I also found out that my water may have been a little low. With rain it was up around the middle screw in skimmer, and zero air bubbles. Will shoot to keep it there...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.