New pool FC levels

Apr 18, 2016
iowa
I just filled my new pool yesterday and today. I wanted to get some bleach in it right away so I added the recommended amount per pool math(1qt 4oz) to get me to FC of 4. How long should I wait to test ? After a 1 1/2 hrs i m still getting a reading of 0 using test strips.

A couple issues to be concerned with:
- Did you add stabilizer? That's critical. You want at least 30 ppm CYA to go with that FC to protect the pool and swimmers, and well as protect the FC from the sun. The sun will eat that chlorine quickly with no stabilizer (CYA).
- With pump running, you can test or add more chemicals about every 15 minutes
- Test strip ... no good. You MUST have the proper test kit, and by that I mean TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Get that now while your pool is new and algae-free. Best simple investment you could possibly make for your pool.
- Also watch the pH. You want it in the mid 7s.

Checkout the Pool School page (link below) for more info. Hope that helps.

I had to order all me chemicals online since I have no local pool store. They were suppose to be here yesterday now due to arrive tomorrow. So no CyA yet. I was trying to be proactive and just get some FC now and throw the cover on today and tmrw get the cya going. I also intend to get a test kit but just haven't decided which one yet. My pH is reading 7.2 and my Ta is at 70

Okay, gotcha. :goodjob: If your pool has any way to create aeration (i.e. small fountain) you might want to let it splash around to increase pH just a bit to about 7.5. Once your chemicals arrive, I would make adding the stabilizer a priority (30 ppm), and then continue to maintain FC around the 4-5 ppm mark. A TA of 70 is good. Give us and update or ask more questions once your stuff arrives. Have a good day.

Received my Amazon order today ! Man it's like Christmas!
Started my cya. Since this is my first go around balancing a pool I figured I should sneek up on my final number. Put enough cya In to get a little over half way. I'm using test strips right now but plan on ordering a test kit tmrw. Not sure what one yet. I did get a surprise with my CH strips where reading 500+ :( . I knew my water was hard but was not expecting that number

Current readings-
FC - 3.5
Cc- less than .5
Ph- 6.8 and falling
Ta - 70-80
Cya- 20 and climbing
Ch- 500+
Temp 50°

I'd make a priority of getting the right test kit before overdoing the CYA additions- you also don't want to rely too much on the test strips for any of your results

Also keep up the aeration- fountains, splashing or direct the return jets up to increase the pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.