Concrete Deck Finish

Jan 2, 2015
Palm Springs, CA
We don't have rain often here but when we do, the concrete deck around my pool leaves a white powdery residue where any puddles were and when the rainwater washes from the concrete deck it seems to get in the pool and causes the calcium to jump way up. CH in December before the rains was 450. After we have had several rains now the CH is 575.

I am assuming the rain is acidic but haven't been able to catch the rainwater to test it since it is so infrequent.

Is there some sort of treatment I can put on the pool deck to keep it from leaching calcium out of the concrete when it rains?

I am in the desert in Palm Springs, CA.

It's surprising that the water from the concrete would drain into the pool. Usually the concrete should slope away from the pool to prevent this.

There are some concrete sealing options. There are products you can buy from a hardware or big box store that are concrete sealers. You could also have a professional seal the concrete. Most sealing products will change the color of the surface a bit darker. Some only a little, some a lot and some change the color on purpose. How effective and durable the seal would be, I don't know as I have not had my concrete decking sealed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.