Help- Filter/Pump shutting down after cleaning Aquarite Salt System?

Jun 13, 2015
Southborough, MA
We just opened our pool last week for our first season. I've been running our Hayward filter continuously since Thursday with no problems. After checking my AquaRite salt system this morning, I decided to clean the unit after noticing the "Inspect Cell" light was steadily lit. Before doing so, I closed the valve leading from the heater to the AquaRite cell and I closed the valve leading to the pool (vantage in floor).

Once I had the AquaRite reinstalled and the valves reopened, I turned on the filter. I noticed the pump smoking and then it shut down tripping the breaker. I reset the breaker and it wouldn't start. I waited another :30, started the filter but it again shut down after a few seconds. I rechecked all valves and they seemed fine.

Before I call my pool company, any thoughts? Did I miss something?

Thanks in advance

(Here's a pic of the system currently - the Vantage to the pool is at bottom out of pic - the valve that's closed at bottom right lead's to the spa for spill over):

Also posted below : the two valves on left lead to filter from pool (skimmer and floor drain). The pipe coming out the bottom of the filter leads to the pool heater and then you'll note the return from the heater to the AquaRite cell. The AquaRite cell feeds both the in floor return for the pool (left bottom) and the spillover for the spa. Partially pictured on right is heater for the spa and not pictured is the spa filter (to right of spa heater).

5EEA4D34-43F0-4111-9214-2BD5248AE7FA_zpsxlib4p7w.jpg

Yes, pump was off. It could have lost prime. I opened the valve after this happened and a substantial amount of air came out. I assume this can cause the pump to overwork/shut down?

To clarify, the two valves on left lead to filter from pool (skimmer and floor drain). The pipe coming out the bottom of the filter leads to the pool heater and then you'll note the return from the heater to the AquaRite cell. The AquaRite cell feeds both the in floor return for the pool (left bottom) and the spillover for the spa. Partially pictured on right is heater for the spa and not pictured is the spa filter (to right of spa heater).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.