Bad multi port valve?

I just finished hard plumbing my mother in laws new sand filter and pump, when we ran into some unexpected problems... After I added sand, I attempted the initial back wash but was not getting any water from the waste port. Water continued to flow back to the pool, through the return line, but at a lower pressure. The only way I could get it to back wash correctly was to shut the valve on the return line, and depress and hold the handle on the multi port valve. The same conditions for rinsing. Filtering seems to be going normal so far though. I took apart the valve and the spider gasket seems to be in good shape. Any thoughts? Thank you

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

There is no air going through the return. I am using the correct position on the valve, and I've quadruple checked that I installed it as the directions specify. Kind of a head scratcher. I've tried other positions on the valve as well to see what they did. Filter and recirculate seem to function normally, but backwash, rinse and waste all require the handle to be held down to operate. If something were truly backwards, would I get sand in the pool while running it? I have not noticed any, trying to troubleshoot but I'm at a loss!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.